PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I opened my first tin of JKP about a week ago and I have been smoking nothing but JKP since. This is such a powerful concoction I'm not sure what words to use to describe it. Its got satisfaction written all over it for me. Having said all of that, I think I've now settled on where my palette is going. I seem to really like Kentucky/Va tobaccos. I've had the same reaction to Irish Flake, DFK, and Navigator.
What else should I be looking into from the same category?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I like Triple Play even better -- it has more sweet, bright VA and it has a tangy flavor that sometimes fades into a more fragrant, incense-like flavor (probably from the dark fired acting a bit like Latakia).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
All from GH&Co:
-- Kendal Dark (Thick Cut)
-- Dark Birdseye
-- Kendal Kentucky

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@pitchfork. I have a tin of TP in my cellar. This will be opened next then :). Only problem I see is Perique. I seem to have a negative reaction to it. After smoking it (Especially if its a perique heavy blend like HH Acadian or Escudo) my mouth feels all wrong. My saliva gets thicker and I some times lose my sense of taste for salt. I have a tin of Haddo's Delight open at the moment and it doesn't do this kind of damage but I try not to smoke more than one a bowl a day of it if any.
The reason I love JK and ODF so much is that no matter how much I smoke them during the day I don't get punished. I'm wondering if the Perique in TP would ruin the day for me. I'll try. For those of you who had tried TP, is the Perique in the front?
Also on another note, I have a tine of Channet's Cake which I've heard good things about but I'm literally afraid of the perique :).

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have a tin of JacKnife for just over a year now and I still haven't popped it open.

Someday soon I'll have to give it a try.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's hard to say whether the Perique is up front in Triple Play -- it has a way of hiding itself and modifying the other tobaccos. I never have a problem with Perique, so I'm not the best person to ask. Only one way to find out for sure!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Fortunately for us, we aren't limited to one blend. I like Jack knife plug - a lot. And Old Dark Fired. I just went to tobaccoreview.com and added Triple Play and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky to my have to try list.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@phil67, In my limited experience smoking a pipe I received Irish Flake as the quintessential smoke. A year later the scale was tipped in favour of ODF making Irish Flake a second best. After JKP I would venture to say that it takes both the 1st and 2nd place leaving ODF and Irish Flake in the 3rd and 4th place :).
I can honestly say that if there was one tobacco that I would trade all of my cellar for it would be JKP and I'd live the rest of my life a happy man.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@conlejm Bold Kentucky was certainly very nice. The only thing I missed when smoking it is the sweetness present in ODF and JKP. I guess I have a sweet tooth!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Triple Play is really good. It might not replace Jack Knife, but it will earn a place with many. A sturdy, robust, lively blend.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Something about JKP, that particular blend, delivers a nic-kick to me of truly epic proportions.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I've got Old Dark Fired (my mind wants to say 'Fried') on the way. Talk about it on this forum is typically very positive, and it sounds tasty

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sixpence is also very good. Similar to Triple Play, but more darkly sweet/spicey. Smokes like a VaPer with just a little something extra.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@pitchfork. I also liked SexPence a lot too, but Navigator won that ticket for me. I found them very similar but I guess this is another sign of my lack of appreciation for Perique. I said this here on the forum before. I don't seem to get Perique at all.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haven't tried Navigator yet. Will have to do that at some point.
By the way, are you talking about Sextant or Six Pence? (You wrote "Sexpence" LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.