PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I ordered a tin of Solani based on link's suggestion. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it and smoke it :).
On a related note, I just finished my ready rubbed JK tin and opened a new Plug tin. All I can say is the difference is staggering! Plug version is just sublime. Its also notably sweeter to my taste buds. The ready rubbed version also had a bit of a bite to it. None of that in the Plug.
Obviously I love JKP more than anything else I've ever smoked :).

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
atskywalker ... did you ever try the Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices?
I love JKP / TP as well and #403 fits right in my rotation.
In fact, I'm jarring up another pound while smoking it this morning. :puffy:
The discussion of the plug vs cut/spun version was very interesting! I've only smoked the plug version but I do cut an entire plug into cubes and jar it. Here's a recent revisit to the two blends after some time away:
These reviews are based on plugs that were cube cut and then jarred for a year.
GLP JackKnife Plug: This blend is an iron fist in a velvet glove. The Dark Fired Kentucky is the star here but the Virginias are plentiful enough to add balance and a touch of sweetness. Earthy and fragrant, the particular DFK that is used is just sublime. Red Virginia peeks through occasionally with mid-range depth and sweetness while the brighter, flue-cured Virginia adds subtle high notes. This blend is best for the initiated who appreciate a bold, strong smoke and is fantastic after a heavy meal or as a wake-up call with coffee in the morning. Strongly recommended!
GLP Triple Play: Sweet, Red Virginia leads the way in this incredible take on a Va/Per plug. The Perique is second in command, as with most blends of this genre. However, the addition of Dark Fired Kentucky alters and compliments it's character. This is the same DFK used in JackKnife Plug and the subtle fragrant essence comes through as a whisper. Complex and ever changing, the smoke intensifies with the Perique showing it's peppery side when pushed. If you like Va/Per's and are interested in what DFK is all about, here's a great starting point. Strongly Recommended!

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
A conclusion I came to this morning regarding both JKP and TP is that the drier they are the better. I found that both fatigue my palette more when wet. My first tin of JKP was unusually dry and thats the one I loved. When I opened a new tin a started I noticed it was much wetter than the first tine and started feeling a sting on my tongue so I started experimenting with it. Try it yourself.. Cut some and let them dry for maybe 2 or 3 hours. Pain gone and taste is sublime.... Enjoy.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
You're right. It is. A powerful concoction. This video will show how powerful lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BleFK1Artmg

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
hakchuma. I saw the video in your other floor and loved it :). You will get used to it if you smoke it a lot as I do. Only thing I can't get used to yet is the stomach cramps I get after the 3rd or 4th bowl of the day :). I balance it with ODF when my stomach can't take it any more.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Great thread on one of my top five tobaccos. JKP, TP, ODF and BK touch a similar tobacco itch in slightly different ways, though I do smoke JKP and ODF more often due to the fact that they soothe me more gently.
I think the real issue about JKP and TP is about preparation. What do different ways of preparing them to smoke bring forth differently in the bowl -- if anything? I've always cut and rubbed and ripped the flakes into shreds. But I read recently someone claiming that cube cutting bring out more complexity. Anyone notice a difference at all?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I read recently someone claiming that cube cutting bring out more complexity. Anyone notice a difference at all?
Although my palate is nowhere near as good at picking out nuances as others on here I certainly noticed a difference with cube cutting plugs. Definitely worth giving it a try.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I am a big fan of Va and burley blends too! I am not a big fan of perique myself and really love Triple play! For something with a bit less nicotine punch you got to try Solani Silver flake, it's my absolute favorite! Sweet and smokey/spicy! With that said Silver flake still have a nice over medium nic hit. I heard Sixpence is similar but not as good.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
A thread with notes from Mr Pease is very worthy of dragging up from the archives! I am sure I read these nuggets of insight the first time they came round, but interesting all over again nonetheless.
'Asymptotically' is new to me, I am sure you are all familiar with the concept but just in case I am not alone in my (mostly) blissful ignorance it is describing a line and a curve that get closer to each other without touching or intersecting.
Isaac

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, great thread!
As far as cube cutting is concerned. Give it a try, I like it from time to time but I still prefer to slightly rub out the tobacco so there are still pretty big chunks of pressed tobacco in the pipe, it kinda serves the same purpose as cube cutting... you get a slower, more condensed burn with pressed tobacco than ribbon cut. I prefer the Irish Plugs myself but still need to try GL Pease's Plugs. I have a few in the cellar, I'm just waiting for them to get more age on them as I frequently hear that his blends are much better with age.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"But I read recently someone claiming that cube cutting bring out more complexity. Anyone notice a difference at all?"
I don't know about it bringing out more complexity but cube cut plug (proper plug such as Full Virginia Plug, St. James Plug, Condor Plug, Kendal Plug etc) most certainly gives a more intensely flavoured smoke.
Smoking FVF then the plug version (cube cut) straight after is like night and day.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But I read recently someone claiming that cube cutting bring out more complexity. Anyone notice a difference at all?
Played around with different preps for ODF about five years ago, and smoke it cube cut exclusively. Definitely more complex and flavorful.

Status
Not open for further replies.