PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
So I am in Chicago for a conference, and I just had to go to Iwan Ries today. This place is piper heaven for someone from Atlanta!

We have a few pipe shops, and I know there is the big shop over in Birmingham, but this place is crazy! I must have looked at hundreds of pipes while I was there. And hundreds of tobaccos. And lighters. And pipe racks. And pipe...well, you get the idea.

Ended up buying a new Capri Warlock Churchwarden and a Neerup Classic flame grain poker, along with several tobaccos and some other odds and ends.

And here are the pics...

20130429_201357.jpg

20130429_201424.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Nice pipes, I have always wanted to go there. Maybe when I die my wife will be kind enough to have my ashes sent there, so they could spread them around alittle. Can't think of a better spot!

Dec 24, 2012
Fantastic pipes. I was there a few years ago, but unfortunately I was interested only in cigars at the time. Can't wait to go back.

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
I dragged my wife in there a year ago when we were seeing the sites downtown. Even she was impressed. Great Neerup

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Yes, it is a great place and I have been there several times.The original Three Star (now named Blue), was one of the inspirations for Captain Bob's Blend along with Kentucky Club's original "London Dock". The original Three Star was in a minority as is my blend - an aromatic containing Latakia. IRC is a wonderful place to visit. However, the original lost its attraction for me when Altadis took over the blending of it. It's just not the same as when it was blended in the IRC "wash-tub".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Wonderful pipe acquisitions, I'm really diggin that Neerup! I've never been to Iwan Ries, but I will be headed there sometime this week while I'm in Chicago for the pipe show!
-Frank

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries also has an good web site, iwanries.com, with a good selection of pipes and tobacco. If you are a pipe smoker on a budget,

look at Iwan Ries Exclusives, which are mostly made by Benton and perhaps, now, some by Savenelli (?). I'm not sure about that second

sourcing, but so I've heard. These pipes are low priced but excellent smokers. They'll give you a rotation of briars, and you can save up

for fancier pipes if you wish.

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
hmm.... I see a churchwarden in my future I think, two good looking pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rothnh, I haven't found Iwan Ries generally pricey. You do have to shop back and forth between

online retailers, your local shops, etc., but on several occasions I've found the IR prices competitive,

or a little lower. It really depends on the individual pipe. In the past year or so, when some of the

online retailers have clearly raised prices, IR has held steady. I think they maintain a unusually large

inventory and will sometimes stay with the profit margin on a particular pipe related to their own

cost rather than raise prices across the board. At some of the sites, with some lines of pipes, they

have just increased the prices for all pipes. I've noticed now, a lot of pipes in one category or series

will all be one, somewhat higher price, whereas there used to be several levels within a series.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Is the in house inventory greater than the online listings? I bought a few pipes from them online years ago as closeouts and got great deals but the last few years it seems pickings are slim online.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I was there last month and yes, their in house stock is much greater than what they show online. :lol:

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I personally think their website is terrible for picking out new pipes. I think it has a lot to do with presenting a clear large picture with very little distracting you (read: white backgrounds). That is why I don't like using Cup O'Joes or Iwan Ries. As a photographer, I prefer to have something very visual, and if a website doesn't lend to that then I tend to look for sites that do. As for pricing, I have found other sites better in price but by a very small margin. I don't doubt that they are great to deal with, but visually, I prefer Al Pascia and Smoking Pipes. Don't believe me? Look at identical pipes listed, side by side by opening up a new browser window. Compare Iwan Ries and Smoking Pipes...then do the same with Al Pascia and Cup O'Joes. You'll see a big difference (not in price but graphically speaking).
Shutterbug

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I agree. I like the store but the web site is very poorly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.