PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I am going to be hanging out at the Iwan Ries smoking lounge after 6PM next Thursday, January 10th. I got a bunch of 1oz bags of blending tobaccos and a couple of clay pipes as a tasting experiment, but I won't need more than a bowl-full of each to learn what I'm after. If anyone wants to join in on the fun, or just hang out and smoke otherwise, feel free to show up!
Please note that there is a $15 cover to get into the lounge as a guest. BYOB&T.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Thanks! I don't expect much on a week's notice invite, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I'll bring whatever's left to the next CPCC meeting.
I'm pretty sure I don't need to do 4 ounces worth of A/B testing yellow vs red virginias or white vs dark burleys to make my discoveries.

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
Bugger. I'm in chicago right now, but leaving the 6th. Stopped by Iwan Ries yesterday, though. What a treat. Picked up some tins to bring back to Texas. Have fun at your meet up!
Brad

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Thanks, I will sure try!
I have one ounce each of C&D Blender's Series Bright Virginia Ribbon, Red Virginia Ribbon, White Burley, Dark Burley, and Dark Fired Kentuky to taste test and compare. I've even got a couple of clays for the A/B tests I want to do. Experience tells me I won't notice much, but I wanted to pass along the opportunity to anyone else who can make it. Lord knows I won't need an ounce of each to figure it out.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
That was fun! Great conversation about tobaccos and lots of other topics.
I'll run this experiment again on my own in a room with fewer sensory distractions (i.e. not a busy cigar lounge), but initially: I can taste only a slight difference between bright and red virginias, and no difference between white and dark burleys.
My hat's off to the blenders who can use those ingredients as a canvas.

Status
Not open for further replies.