PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I have been on the forum since last May and don't recall much, if any, mention of their blends.
I was sent a sample of one of their Three Star Blends, which I didn't like at all, to say the least.
Who has smoked their blends and what did you think of them? Any recommendations?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I have several tins of their Gourmet English cellared. I like it. It's not in my regular rotation, but I probably smoke 4-5 bowls a month. Definitely worth a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've tried their Three Star Blue that is manufactured by Sutliff. It's billed on the box

as "The only aromatic with no sweet, non-tobacco taste." It's pleasant, a little dry,

but less interesting than other aromatic blends. Lanes 1Q, the old favorite, or

their LL-7, for example. Three Star Blue doesn't draw me into trying other of their

many blends, and they have quite an array. My favorite product line at Iwan Ries

are their house pipes sold under Iwan Ries Exclusives at economical prices, that

are just good smoking durable pipes, and handsome in a high tradition. Great for

a new pipe smoker to develop a rotation of pipes without breaking the household

budget.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah Three Star Blue is one of the few tobaccos that went to the bin. Didnt like it. They have one of the most neat pipe stores I have ever seen for sure thought.
:)

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
What I'm seeing so far, unless I'm misinterpreting, is a lukewarm response to their blends, nothing like the high praise that, for example, so many of Peretti's blends get.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
My wife got me some of the 3 star blue, their most famous blend, I don't like it...reminds me of pencil shavings...but If i mix it with a tasty aro, it comes out pretty good

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
ive been liking three star blue lately. I love the way of kings oriental smells but it'st unsmokable, just air. three star blue seems to have more body and the flavor strongly comes through in the smoke. I've smoked the IRC black cav and it's not bad. I'm just looking for some aromatic blends I can smoke inside. i'm planning an order, whats the cordial cherry like? Is it very light like king oriental? What about the other 3 stars, Gourmet Aromatic, what's that like? what is china black whiskey? is it just a sutliff whiskey blend renamed? what about three star dutch? how about koko mixture?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tastes change. My earlier posting four years ago (above) was thoroughly dismissive, though Iwan Ries is the source of several of my pipes and others gifted to me, so I consider myself a fan. Since my post four years ago, I tried Three Star Blue again and developed an appreciation of its tobacco-forward mild but flavorful zing. Since then, I have also come to appreciate their mild but flavorful Spilman's Mixture. I'd like to try their Dr. Bradley and various other blends. IR has a good feel for burley blended with other leaf. If you get to know and enjoy them, their blends are long-standing and likely to be around into the future, despite the new FDA regs. Also contributing to my reconsideration of Three Star Blue was a fine review by jiminks who knows what he's about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Spilman Mixture 7 oz. tub is labeled E. Hoffman Company Chicago, but other text on the tin says they're in Richmond, Va., but I think it may be IR connected, or a longstanding source. I've never seen it offered elsewhere.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Oh you made it sound like E. Hoffman was a IRC blend. They sell E. Hoffman at SP and other sites

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
so since irc blends are all made by sutliff, its hard for me to believe irc 3 star cordial buttered rum isn't sutliff buttered rum. Has anyone smoked both and can compare?

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I have tried King's Oriental and Dr Bradley. Both are cross over blends and I liked both. I am not convinced that all their blends are Sutliff made

Status
Not open for further replies.