Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm smoking Solani's Aged Burley Flake in my MM Patriot right now and it can't get better than this. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Smoking Orlik Dark Strong in a Rob Roy cob. Absolutely Fabulous.
Once broke in(4 to 5 bowls) cobs seem to have no issues with a corn cob taste. The naked cobs taste different, but the plastered taste fine. Briars seem to darken a tobacco to my palate. Which is great! But that's my assessment.

I love my corn cobs more than my briars.
tumblr_ocs2wzkjuU1thlb50o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_og27wumhg71thlb50o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oh3ecjQHeG1thlb50o1_1280.jpg

Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I just braved the cold outside for a hike. I rubbed out two coins of Mac Baren Club Blend into a pile of Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam and loaded the mess into a very used bent MM Country Gentleman with MM's Freehand vulcanite stem. Well into the bowl, I completely forgot it was cold out. :puffy:

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
Cobs are all I own. I like 'em. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the juxtaposition of smoking high quality, expensive tobacco in a pipe that cost less than the tobacco, lol. Further, whether us dudes want to admit it or not, we are 'accessorizing' when we buy pipes, including how it 'looks' on us. I ain't purdy enough, nor own the appropriate clothing, to accessorize with anything other than cobs. Add to that Mark Twain is about my favorite author, pipe smoking aside, and I spent my previous decade, that of my 30's, as a whitewater raft guide, and well, Huck and Tom with their cob pipes on the river, etc., lol.
I made a decision, early on, that The Universe had given me ample indication that I am to be a cob smoker, and to deal with that fact and stay away from briar, so I listened an obliged, lol.
I like my cobs, and actually wish serious pipe makers would take the cob bowl seriously to give me more options than just MM or customizing my own (which I don't mind - personalizing my cobs). In fact, I'm loading up a cob (a Country Gentleman that has been ridden hard and put away wet and still holding up just fine) with some Solani 779: English Luxury Mixture (Solani 633: VaPer Flake just barely lost out for getting loaded up) and getting ready to fire it up.
There are definitely some absolutely stunning and artistically beautiful briar pipes being made, however, and I do wonder if I'll buck The Universe's decision for me at some point in the future ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like my cobs, and actually wish serious pipe makers would take the cob bowl seriously to give me more options
There are a number of cob artisans such as Riccardo Santia.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
Just as an example of how good a cob can look, this is a MM Mark Twain turned upside down and into a volcano. Not mine, saw it on another forum. Tell me that ain't a good looking pipe that can hold its own against a good looking briar:
IMG_20150730_123419.jpg

chasingembers:
I've seen a couple Riccardo Santia pipes. They are definitely nice. Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Love that volcano! Even MM's stock special editions are fine pipes to behold.
img_20160830_014234-337x600.jpg

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Some really wise folks start with a cob and pretty much never leave.
For the rest of us, we had to putter around a bit with other offerings before we understood and appropriated

the beauty and simplicity that is a cob pipe.
When we hear critics scoff of the cob, we are able to smile, knowing that they have yet a little further to go in the journey to pipe enlightenment.
You have made a brave and wonderful step forward with your order.

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
K find the main reason I keep briar pipes on my shelf is bowl size. I occasionally like a deep billiard full bent briar simply because it lasts longer than most of my cobs. Granted my largest cob is a country gentleman, I have yet to get the MacArthur but someday I'm sure I will grab one

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, I have been smoking the bejesus out of my MM cob these past few days, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Fewer relights and smokes right down to the bottom. Easy to smoke, easy to clean. And what amazes me is that not only do flavors come through really well, but when I empty the pipe and run my pinky around the inside wall to clean the cake, it is so bone dry!
Wonder if someone makes an aftermarket kit where you can slip a briar-like cover over the outside to make it /look/ like an expensive briar! :mrgreen:
I could impress my friends how good my $200.00 pipe smokes then-- Waa laa! slip the cover off--- surprise! $5.00 pipe. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.