It's Official - Scotland is The Third Best Country in the World to Visit !!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
This week 'Lonely Planet' asserted that after Brazil (you won't get a decent pint there!) and Antarctica (you won't be able to smoke there for fear of environmental damage!) Scotland is the best place in the world to visit in 2014. However they may not have been aware of Peck's crucial information on Barcelona !! LOL
They are right - we have wonderful bars where you can smoke a pipe outside, restaurants as good as anywhere in the world and welcoming people, in kilts !! Edinburgh, rightly, is said to be 'more Gothic' than Transylvania, so if you are planning on visiting Scotland please send me a PM ad I will give you the low down - the stuff the tourists never find out about.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Third best? ... wow! ... for me, it'd be second and then only because Ireland is where my ancestry is from and it is therefore at the top of my list ... I'd love to visit Scotland ...

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I know three people from Scotland, two from Edinburgh and one from Glasgow. I have no idea what they're saying, but I love listening to them!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I spent 2 weeks in Scotland in the summer of 2009, mostly in the Isles and Western Highlands. Lovely place. Only person I had any trouble understanding was a Glaswegian who was a very nice and helpful lad to a lost tourist.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Jud, I'm glad you enjoyed it, although I would not advise anyone to come here for the weather ! lol Next time, and I hope there will be one, you should consider visiting Edinburgh; for many good reasons it is the most popular tourist destination in Scotland (second only to London, in the UK as a whole).

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@sam, wonderful story ! Edinburgh is a great place to sow wild oats, and I don't just mean porridge ! lol I'm not a golfer but I live 5 mins from the Braid Hills.
'Espionage'?? Jeez, my son used to frequent that pick-up joint !! LOL.
There are some fantastic pubs around the Cowgate/Grassmarket area. Do you recall any names? My favourite is Cowgate's 'Bannerman's', in the very depths of Edinburgh's Old Town - we are talking the 1600s here.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Hey I've got a motto for your tourist board:
SCOTLAND -- almost as good to visit as a pile of ice.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@sam, yep it is a wonderful pub, in the bowels of "Auld Reekie", so named because of the pall of smoke that hung over the Old Town in the days of coal fires and the reason why in 1820 they started building the posh New Town!
@jkemp, you mean you would prefer it to Antarctica? Me too!
@scarborian, you are right. I came back here in 1990 and feel very privileged.
@tamer, I know a place in Edinburgh where you used to be able to buy a bucket of beer!

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
I have spent time more than once there.

Would visit in a heart beat. Love it,

love the people, the atmosphere, and

the pubs. On one trip we camped/B&Bd all

the way around and through the center for

32 days and loved every moment of it!

In my mind; a slice of heaven! :puffpipe:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@scottishjohn, you are surely right: I hope you had good camping weather, but if you frequented the unsurpassed pubs you might not remember ! lol I presume from your moniker that you carry Scottish genes??

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@petes, you definitely should. I would personally ensure that Auld Reekie showed both of you a good time !! There is no welcome like the Scottish welcome, unless it is the Irish - and I am half Irish !! LOL

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@flaky, I have a little of both in me as well. McClure and Sampson, as well as Cunningham and Fowler from England. Throw in a little Cherokee and German along the way, and it's one hell of a mix that I am!

Dec 24, 2012
And a beautiful place it is. I have spent a fair bit of time in Edinburgh and love the look and feel of the place.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@peck, after 40 years, and more, I still love its 'look and feel'. I am very privileged to work and live in this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.