PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
OK gents,
This is my first haul of tinned tobacco. Many thanks to Roth, Pitchfork, Harris, Six (and gobs of others. Don't want to sound like an acceptance speech, but I apologize if I forgot anyone...) :lol:
0011-150x112.jpg

Two things I wanted to comment on:
1. I placed this order with P&C. There was a thread going around a while back about a horror show with them with a pipe. I read the owner/manager's reply and that gave me confidence to use them. I placed this order LATE on Tuesday and received it TODAY in the mail (They are in Albany, NY and I am in Southern NJ). Great packaging, no dents, and great delivery time. THANKS P&C !!! You will definitely be getting more business from me.
2. Which one do I start with? I don't want to open them all, or do I? You have to see me here, holding them, petting them, calling them "My precious"......

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I understand your excitement. I too, just placed a large tin order. I love ordering tins (despite more cost than bulk) because it gives me more opportunity to sample a bunch of different blends in relatively small quantities but more than a sampler so that I can store what's left and revisit it further down the road. I also keep the tins around to remind myself of all I've sampled and as a cool little collector's item. Anyway, here's my order, also from P&C (I've had nothing but good, quick business from them):
Pease Sextant (new)

Pease Chelsea Morning (new)

MacBaren Scottish Blend (refilling a favorite)

McClelland Frog Morton (new)

McClelland Frog Morton's Cellar (new)

Escudo Navy (new)
Enjoy your new haul! I know I can't wait for mine to arrive.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Homeatsea !!!! Looks like we both got Chelsea Morning and Frog Morton's Cellar and they are both new to me as well. As I sit here looking at them after a late lunch I am thinking of the Frog Morton's Cellar as my first bowl. I will post my thoughts after I try it. You do the same so we can compare the Cellar and the Chelsea Morning :)
Dan

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Roth,
I don't think I will be able to resist either. Is tasting tobacco akin to wine tasting, et. al, I should drink white before red, or in this instance, smoke the EMP or the Chelsea Morning BEFORE the Cellar? I was just curious on that.
I usually don't mix tobaccos during the day but HEY, I've never really had more than one :clap:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Alex,
There is a sticky that explains many of the acronyms used on this site. You can go here http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology to see them. They are on the right hand column of the forums page.
PAD - Pipe acquisition disorder

TAD - Tobacco acquisition disorder

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice haul! Tins are great for long term storage, so when I find one I like, I order several and sleep well knowing they can remain in a sealed tin for years.
Personally, if you don't have a lot of open tobacco hanging around, you can probably open all 3 if you're really dying to try them all. Just be sure to transfer them to mason jars. IMHO the only reason to leave it in the tin is if you don't plan on smoking it for a while.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Roth. I may just savor one today and then start the journey again tomorrow. I appreciate your help with this initial selection.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Yazamitaz,
I've been quite curious about EMP and it just missed out on being included in my last haul (money has its limits). I certainly would like to know what you think of it when you give it a try.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Yaz and homeatsea, both great hauls, congrats.
I would open them all so you can smoke them all as part of your rotation. I would go to walmart and grab a 4 pack of these containers. They are plastic and will keep your open tins fresh for months. The 4 pack only costs around 6 bucks or so and the largest one can hold 12-15 tins.
In this pic on the bottom shelf you can see what I use.

DSC09706.jpg

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Harris,
I have been jarring most of my open tins with 8oz mason jars from WalMart. Usually buy two of each tin, keep one sealed and stored away for the long run and open/jar one for indulging in. But I will definitely be checking out those containers you've suggested. They look great.
Thanks for the suggestion!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Six and Harris. Should be home soon to pop one of these babies in my new Nording.
I will be hitting Le Mart de Wal to be picking up some of those jars. Something is telling me I will buying more of this stuff VERY soon.
Homeatsea, I am sure I will be posting tomorrow on the three tobaccos. I also took advantage of the discount 4noggins is offering and picked up a Peterson St Patty's day pipe and some Charring Cross. GL Pease gets a lot of praise here and 4noggins was the only place that had Charring Cross (as of Wed that is) that I could find.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Its a great beginning for your tins yaz. I actually keep my TAD in my closet. Its forced me to actually clean it out and arrange it. I think that's a good thing!

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Yaz,
You may also want to check out this little gem of a free sample:
http://stglanepipe.com/FreeSamples.aspx
They're all OTC tobaccos, but a 1.25oz sample isn't bad to add to a start-up cellar. Not to mention some of the OTC they offer actually have received some decent reviews. I personally picked up the Five Brother's Pipe Tobacco, but I've also heard that Sir Walter Raleigh isn't a bad OTC option and that some also enjoy Captain Black, though some also have related it's flavor to "chemical warfare".

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Z, I figure you gotta start somewhere. I remember when my wine rack had two bottles and now I have over 75 (we hit it hard this summer with lotsa relatives crossing the pond. I had 150 at one point)and my humidor had 3 cigars and now I have 3 humidors. Of course this took years to acquire. I aspire to have a closet like you do or the set up that Harris and some others have.
Home - I will check that out, thanks.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
So just a quick update.
Frog Morton Cellar - I opened this tin first and WOW...that's what REAL tobacco smells like huh ??? I just loved this smoke.
Chelsea Morning - I loved the feel of this tobacco. First time I think EVER in my life that after the false light I fired her up and smoked the whole bowl down to the bottom without another light. I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke but don't quite have the palate yet to tell you what I tasted. I just know I liked it.
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe - I decided to respect its namesake and was my first bowl this morning with a nice strong cup of coffee. I loved the burn and the taste of this tobacco. Again,, don't want to embarrass myself with a novice rating, I just know I enjoyed it. Glad I finally tried these great tobaccos.
Now I have a new St Patty's Day Peterson and some Charring Cross due in this week. Can't wait to try that one too.
Happy St Patty's Day and Happy smoking.
Dan

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks for the update Dan!
Hearing that you enjoyed them makes me excited for my next buy.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
It will most certainly arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know my thoughts once I've had a chance to sit down with it. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.