PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
It's officially been a month now since I began the quest to lose weight, so I decided to weigh myself again, just out of curiosity of how much I lost in a month.
Well, I am 269 now, from 298 (actually closer to 299), so virtually 30 pounds loss in a month.
That's great. I know the first bit will come off fast, but I gained a pound a bit after going hard eating whatever I wanted on Wednesday, went back up from 271 to like 272.8, but clearly I lost close to 4 pounds in just a few days again.
I may have some biological factors like being young, and being male in my favor, but still it is all will power, and self-discipline, which for me stems out of my own self-interest.
I accept the fact that if I want something I have to take the necessary steps to achieve it, I have to work for it. That's what I do, that's what I credit with my success so far, and what I will credit with my future success as well.
As the late Madalyn Murray O'Hair once said:

“Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.”

What helps me a lot is that I can see that I am getting results, that certainly helps me to keep going, because I know that I am not doing this for nothing.
When I was in grade 12, I had to take some gym credit because it was mandatory, so I took the weightlifting class, it was actually easy as pie. All I had to do was walk over last period to the gym at the near by mall, and do my work out, there were virtually no assignments, that's literally almost all it was. Still some students failed, but the only way to fail that class would be to repeatedly not show up and work out. I got results there too, slowly but surely, I went up multiple amounts. At the start I was lifting 20, but by the end I was lifting 60. Oh, and my final grade is 94%.
So the secret to achieving things, is to actually do it. It's not even a secret, it's extremely obvious.
P.S: I know I haven't posted in close to a month, but I did post about needing to lose here, so I thought I'd update here as well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think losing weight is more difficult and challenging than quitting cigarettes. Congratulations on your discipline and best of luck with your ongoing efforts to lose weight.

Mar 1, 2014
I can only eat what I buy so whether I gain or lose weight is all dependent on my mindset while pushing the grocery cart.
My problem now is the goal of hitting a 350lb 5RM bench press in the next five months while losing weight (currently 280lb 5RM), if I can hit that I should be on-track to do some strength competitions next year (and not just get last every time).

I love to eat and seeing guys with a 5,000 calorie maintenance diet makes me jealous.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
269 now, from 298
Good on you, hoss! Do keep in mind, though, that too dramatic a weight loss can often negatively impact your body systems. Glad you dumped a bunch of unneeded/unwanted pounds. I was over 300 at one point, & even for *my* height (6'7" at that point, 6'6.5" now) that was too much. After quitting drinking I gradually dropped to 280, & when I became diabetic about 15 yrs later I dropped another 30 once I started to eat better. [Not actually "right," just better. :)] I stay around 255-260 now. I wouldn't mind going down another 10, but I'm good with where I am now. :)
Bill

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
30 pounds in a month is significant, well done!

I wouldn't worry about a couple of pounds up or down.

Your fluid balance will vary that much if you eat differently or weigh in at different times of the day.

Also, if you are training hard you may be replacing fat with muscle so weight is not always telling the truth.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well done! That's a sensational first month. When I was in my mid-20's and went on a diet and started working out, I dropped weight that quickly at first. As long as you feel well, and are getting enough food and nutrients, I would just enjoy the ride. Even if the pounds stop dropping as fast, you will continue to notice yourself getting better muscle tone and looking more in shape.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Congrats. I actually gained 3 pounds since working out. I’m telling myself it’s the muscle growth... yeah, that’s it.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
30 pounds in a month sounds very unusual. To lose a pound a day means your having to cut your caloric in take by 3500 calories a day. I gather you have been consuming more than the normal adult it still seems rather risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.