PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Ok Duke St. lads and lassies, tell me it's a quaint.
Please.
Because, otherwise... What the everloving fuck did someone do to this pipe?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/262817420224
-- Pat

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Plugged, and just smoothed out those pesky rough edges a bit... :wink:
Then again, someone paid $357.88 for this one, yes it's a rare pipe old pipe, but it looks topped and wiped down with an overcoat of stain. It must have been beautiful when new, look at the grain,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DUNHILL-DUKE-ST-S-W-PATENT-3-3-17-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-WOOD-SMOKING-PIPE-/371842251545?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Y%252FsCgle31QxCQW2gh1uReLuMu24%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Looks to me, it was a heavily smoked pipe. Burnout, possibly where that wood plug is and the rim of the bowl looks like someone tried to "restore" it. Very good possibility is that the whole thing was rusticated and someone tried to sand the bowl to a smooth finish?
Dunno, but that's the worst Dunhill I've ever seen, lol

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

What you are looking at there is a rare Dunhell. It was a lesser-known artisan sub-brand of Dunhill back in the 50's. Dunhill hired street artisans in the East to piece together pipes of all types to make a rare authentic Dunhell pipe. You may want to get in on this one as they rarely show up on the market.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
According to the seller it is in "pristine condition" and "excellent condition". I'd love to see what they consider "fair condition".

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo boo
Good detective eye. And as to "Very good possibility is that the whole thing was rusticated and someone tried to sand the bowl to a smooth finish?" - that would make this item especially rare, since Dunhill did a lot of sandblasting (Shells, etc), but not rustication.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent condition ... maybe considering someone took this to the back forty and used it as a target with their old twelve gauge.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's been buffed within an inch of its existence by some moron. I forgot to look to see if the seller was shinypipes.
Then again, someone paid $357.88 for this one, yes it's a rare pipe old pipe, but it looks topped and wiped down with an overcoat of stain. It must have been beautiful when new, look at the grain,
Topped, dropped, slopped, cracked, over reamed. P. T. Barnum was a sage for the ages.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
@ sablebrush you are a brave man to call out shinypipes. She will be on here in no time going off til Kevin deletes the offending post LOL.......she is so entertaining I dont know why the posts get removed.....

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I have a a buddy where I live who's an 50 year pipe smoking vet. Hes a jewler by trade, and some of his dunhills are kept together with pieces of metal he had laying around the shop. They have been smoked hard, probably as long as ive been alive, and are by far the roughest dunhills Ive ever seen.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wow... It's amazing how much people will take the seller's word about an item without asking questions or doing any research. I could put a pile of dog crap up on ebay and list it as excellent condition and someone would believe it. Maybe I should just list all my auctions as Dunhill and excellent condition. LOL :mrgreen:

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I think they should sand the "S" off the shell and jack the price up to be sold as an extremely rare piece seldom seen in the mortal realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.