PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
“There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.”
Robert A. Heinlein

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

Frédéric Bastiat

“No nation has ever taxed itself into prosperity.”

Rush Limbaugh

And so on... Sorry for your imposed hardship, my friend.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Trevor Talbert moved his family and workshop to France for a time. He chronicled his experience there in a blog that now seems to be offline. In it, he told of his many hardships with the French government and their various laws and taxes. This, coupled with what he perceived as a worldwide recession force him to move back to the USA. Here is a small excerpt from his current website; you can read between the lines:

Our Time in France
In 2002, we purchased a workshop, tools, material stock, and attached house from a French pipemaker and relocated from NC to a small village in Brittany, France. We lived there for seven very difficult years, immersed in the lifestyle of the Breton coast and mastering our pipemaking craft. During that time, we met many of the European pipemakers and collectors, and "internationalized" our business to a great extent. By 2009, however, the stress of expat living, the difficulties of operating a self-employed business in France, and the global economic recession all combined to spur us into leaving our French home and moving back to the USA. It was an enriching, if somewhat traumatic experience, and we will always be grateful for the many friends we met along the way, both in France and in the States.

Reactions: Daniele Pipa

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally think it's a scheme, to keep Italy from being over populated by people like myself. I guess what I am saying is you gotta take the good with the bad and look at the big picture and ask your self would you rather have a bunch of us spoiling the country side or expensive pipe tobacco?

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’m visiting Puglia right now and I’ve been wondering where pipe smokers get their tobacco. I’ve yet to find a full service tobacconist and of course online isn’t an option.

@Daniele Pipa , is Massimo Musico still in business at Becker & Musico near the Trevi Fountain? I visited this past November and had a wonderful time at his shop.

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
I’m visiting Puglia right now and I’ve been wondering where pipe smokers get their tobacco. I’ve yet to find a full service tobacconist and of course online isn’t an option.

@Daniele Pipa , is Massimo Musico still in business at Becker & Musico near the Trevi Fountain? I visited this past November and had a wonderful time at his shop.
Musico have closed this summer

Reactions: tfdickson
Jun 9, 2018
England
this is what happens if I connect to American sites
View attachment 3649View attachment 3650

This is what I fear happening in England and I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it does. I think BREXIT has put nonsense like this on hold as its all consuming and dominates parliament at the moment, once it all gets sorted (whenever the bloody hell that is) I'm sure the politicians and Whitehall mandarins will turn their attention back to finding ways to nause things up for smokers once again.
It's things such as this that have caused me to focus on tobacco from the USA and Germany, Hu, Dan, Cornell & Diehl etc.
I haven't gone deep on any blends as I don't have sufficient wonga so it's mainly a tin or two of as many different blends as I can get my mitts on so as to have a decent selection in the years ahead.
Every time I see a thread like this one it's a reminder to order from abroad while I still can.

Chris.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This is what I fear happening in England and I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it does. I think BREXIT has put nonsense like this on hold as its all consuming and dominates parliament at the moment, once it all gets sorted (whenever the bloody hell that is) I'm sure the politicians and Whitehall mandarins will turn their attention back to finding ways to nause things up for smokers once again.
It's things such as this that have caused me to focus on tobacco from the USA and Germany, Hu, Dan, Cornell & Diehl etc.
I haven't gone deep on any blends as I don't have sufficient wonga so it's mainly a tin or two of as many different blends as I can get my mitts on so as to have a decent selection in the years ahead.
Every time I see a thread like this one it's a reminder to order from abroad while I still can.

Chris.
Oh Yes Chris, I'm doing the very same, we're in the same boat with only one significant exception that England has one of the finest tobaccos to offer on their domestic market, though pricey, we've got almost nothing but then we have this nearby borderline with Russian Federation (personally I live some 60 miles off)and this gives us an extra opportunity to go there Russia (Entry visa is obligatory)and stock there some more or less good tobaccies and fill our car tanks with consumer-friendly' priced gas(1 l of regular 95 oct :50 e cents)

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019

Chris.
with BREXIT you will have problems in finding EU tobacco

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
Oh Yes Chris, I'm doing the very same, we're in the same boat with only one significant exception that England has one of the finest tobaccos to offer on their domestic market, though pricey, we've got almost nothing but then we have this nearby borderline with Russian Federation (personally I live some 60 miles off)and this gives us an extra opportunity to go there Russia (Entry visa is obligatory)and stock there some more or less good tobaccies and fill our car tanks with consumer-friendly' priced gas(1 l of regular 95 oct :50 e cents)
we pay 1l of green gasoline 1.86€ ( 1 gallon 6.88€)‬ / diesel 1l 1.45€ ( 1 gallon 5.3€)

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast

If Music shop is closed see if Novelli is still open.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast

Enjoy if you're on vacation!?

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
it was horrible even for us Italians, it suddenly closed without telling anyone
I hope that he will reopen maybe in a different location. His store was full of pipes and he also helped lesser know pipe artisans through the foundation. That is a shame. Novelli was on ferie in Aug. So they are my list next time I visit. Rome is one of my favorite places on Earth...next to Messina.

Reactions: Daniele Pipa

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
I hope that he will reopen maybe in a different location. His store was full of pipes and he also helped lesser know pipe artisans through the foundation. That is a shame. Novelli was on ferie in Aug. So they are my list next time I visit. Rome is one of my favorite places on Earth...next to Messina.
rome is not close to Messina, there are 699 kilometers (434 miles);)

Status
Not open for further replies.