PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
Unfortunately, in Italy, we don't have a free market, in any area. Tobacco selling it's one of most complicated law in Italy. So we don't shipping tobacco from private to private, and tobaconist to private. Because we can't buy or sell tobacco on internet. This is a big limit, because the tobacco shop it's limited to 1 shop every 100.000 people. So is not simply find a good tobaconist, around you. I live in Roma but when I go to my girlfriend( she live in Sicily). I have to go 120 km ( 75 Miles) for one tobacco shop which has only 8 tobaccos. But is not all. We pay a lot of taxes on tobacco. We pay :
vat : 22% (actual but from the next years probably increased to 25,7%)
excise: 56%
profit of the tobacconist ( standard for all shop ) 10%.
Another tax (this is for importers or factory) is to pay 1700€ at years every single tobacco wants to sell.
So for fault of this tax, in Italy, we pay:
C&D : 50€
Samuel gawith: 23€
Dunhill (no longer available): from 17 to 22€
G.L.Pease: 50€
Kendal: 25€
Mac baren: from 8€ to 18€
Peterson: from 24€ to 48€
RATTRAY'S: from 28€ to 62€
ROBERT MC CONNELL: from 20€ to 36€
SAMUEL GAWITH 250g : 75€
SKANDINAVIK: 8€
:eek:

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
75,000 miles to the nearest brick and mortar store? That's incredible! It's almost 1/3 of the way from the earth to the moon.

Reactions: Daniele Pipa

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I was just kidding around puf I know our "standard" measurement system that we use here in the U.S.A. is a mess and easy to confuse.

Most of us on this forum are Americans, and I think we like to hear about what the pipe and tobacco market, culture, etc. is like in other countries. At least I do. Hearing about taxes in various different European countries makes me feel thankful for how good we have it (for now)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amazing, for one of the great pipe-making nations in the world. I don't know quite what to say. Is this a public health effort or a tax revenue scheme, or something else?

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
Amazing, for one of the great pipe-making nations in the world. I don't know quite what to say. Is this a public health effort or a tax revenue scheme, or something else?
It's only tax revenue scheme. In Italy, the 58% of the us salary goes into taxes.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
When in Rome...we were there last summer and purchased a tin of erinmore Latakia and a pouch of clan. Neither that I have tried. They were purchased at Tabaccheria Zanghi Piazza di S. Claudio, 166/a, 00187 Roma RM, Italy. It was a very cool place.

There's even the Musico store front which was the only pipe store open during the summer months was a treat to visit. The tobacco's were expensive but the view and the ability to loiter while smoking a pipe were priceless!

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
You can pretty much forget about tobacco other than Italian type brands in Sicilia. I could not find anything other than pouches there SKANDINAVIK: 8€ . I ended up smoking PS lux and bullseye flk that I brought with me.

Last edited:

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
Try this site for so in Europe.

That's not a bad selection but I am sure they are quite costly!
yes it is true, but all this increases the smuggling. 90% of smokers are forced to buy contraband. the average salary is € 900, about $ 980

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
That's highway robbery.
in Italy it's all a robbery. we pay 17 excise taxes on gasoline. 3 on the house. 4 on the current. 6 on cars. inheritance taxes. etc. the excise tax applies vat. in total there are over 300 taxes. moreover, income taxes are paid at the end of the year. from 1 to 15,000 € we pay 23%.
from 15.001 to 28.000 € we pay 27%.
from 28.001 to 55.000 € we pay 38%.
55.001 - 75.000 we pay 41%.
over 75.001 we pay 43%

• Wow
Reactions: gamzultovah

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Well I am from Italy but living in the USA. What said is all true, however when I go visiting Italy (just came back from there yesterday) it is still a place where everyday I go out to walk in any downtown there are still tobacconists selling pipes and I still see at least a couple of pipe smokers walking in the streets. Never see anymore pipe smokers in the street in the USA. And the hilarious part is that I live in LA where they are going to stop the sale of any tobacco product, so for me comparing the two Italy is still more alive for pipe smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.