PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I am in North Bend, Washington. There is a little log building tavern called the Mt Si Tavern about a half mile down the frontage road from the truck stop here, and I have been visiting it for a number of years now.
Over time I have come to know some of the regulars there, as well as the employees. It is one of my favorite taverns in the U.S.
I was really happy to see an old fellow called "Smoky", who has been fighting lung cancer for the past couple of years, shooting pool when I walked down there from the truck stop. We chatted for a bit. It did my heart good to see this good hearted fellow still around and enjoying himself. He is one of the good people and I feel honored to know him. I know him as well as his two daughters and will sorely miss him when he is gone.
Honestly, when I walked down there from the truck stop I expected to hear that he had already passed away. The fact that not only was he still here but also looked quite healthy was a real pleasant surprise.
I was readily welcomed by several of the locals when I got there. It is always fun to have people know you when you are thousands of miles from home. It feels like you are home again even though you are on the opposite side of the continent.
I spent some time drinking a few beers, smoking on the back porch, and eating some really spicy chili, before calling it a day and getting ready to head back to my truck.
It is a half mile walk from the truck stop to the bar, and visa versa. I had walked down there, using my cane to ease the normal pain of walking I feel in my bum leg. Leaving was a different story. A fellow I have known for a few years now insisted on giving me a ride back to my truck.
Being as my leg has been giving me a lot of trouble of late I welcomed the ride. A couple of other people also offered me a ride back, but I took his offer and thanked the others for their offers. People can be great at times.
There are a lot of good people in the world if you are open to knowing them.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Nice to see good people getting credit. Watching the news you get the impression they don't exist.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Cool stuff! I used to drive through that area on the way to school in Eastern Washington. That was many years ago, but it seems like only yesterday. I'm wishing I'd stopped more often, but I think the only real time I ever spent there was at a Napa Auto Parts store trying to diagnose the overheating issue in the family's Volare station wagon...good times!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Always nice to have friends away from home. Especially if it's an area that you visit often. Sounds like you also found some considerate ones.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
People generally speaking are "good." It was very nice of them to take care of you. :)

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Pipetrucker… I always enjoy your stories. My Stepdad was a trucker and I often spent much of my summer riding with him when I was a kid. I was lucky enough to get a briefly experience some of the things you often mention.
A funny thing he had a friend name Smoky that would sometime run sleeper with him on the longer trips that needed a quick turnaround. Our Smoky would be about 120 now so I’m sure he is long gone.
BTW most of our trips were in the western US, from as far south as Nogales Mexico to as far north as Vancouver BC. He mainly hauled frozen food and produce… lots of good memories.
Thank you for sharing... :puffy:

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Well that was a good read pipetrucker sir and what a way to spend time with friends on your long trips :puffpipe:

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
Nice story Pipetrucker. Far too many times we do not get to hear good stuff like that, too much sadness out there these days. Thanks for sharing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I really enjoy reading these little vignettes of the life and times of an over the road hauler.

Truckers deserve more respect and appreciation: for what they know about life; and for what they do for all of us.

Keep'em coming Mason. :clap:
ps. I'll bet you'd trade all this praise and adulation for just a little more highway courtesy now and then from the 4-wheelers. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.