PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2012
Oh brother.
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887324493704578432961601644942-lMyQjAxMTAzMDIwMTEyNDEyWj.html

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
There's no doubting, as the author said, that this will create a whole new world of headaches for any purchase online. What I struggle to swallow is ...
Bill sponsors say it would be too big a hassle to force traditional retailers to ask every walk-in customer where they live, but these Senators are happy to impose new obligations online.
I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be easy to argue that the sale is made from where the item is shipped, thus meaning you'd pay the state tax from where it comes? Why would internet sales be treated any differently?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If I remember correctly B&Ms have to pay an import tax to import the blends for sale in their state and that rate differs from state to state. It's been a while since I've listened to the episode but, Brian explained all of that in one radio show and I remember him saying online retailers don't have to pay that tax because the product typically isn't being shipped to the base state for sale. From what I gathered in the episode it seemed like the government considered them a transit and exempted them from the state import tax. My guess is Uncle Sam is tired of not getting his cut and is looking to impose this state import tax to online sales as well. All you can do is notify Senators and Representitives and hope for the best.

Nov 29, 2012
Just in case anyone doesn't know, this is a great place to stay abreast of tobacco in the news:
http://www.cspnet.com/news/tobacco/home
I am not affiliated with the site. I just want my fellow pipe bretheren to stay educated! :puffy:
The original article isn't on there, I found that on Reddit of all places.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
We just got notice up north that our recent Federal Budget and the changes to the tobacco tax laws will now impart a further $5 per 50gm of tobacco cost on to the retailers and therefore us as customers. That means a pouch of Captain Black will now cost Canadians $30 to buy at their local B&M. Be forewarned my American brethren that you need to fight before it's too late, we didn't and look what happened to us!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.