PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you are with others, do you use your pipe as a social prop? Do you gesture with it, point, wave it around, pause significantly to puff? I think I tend to be more furtive, like people aren't supposed to notice, but perhaps I flourish a pipe more than I think. Do you conduct the orchestra, or the conversation, with your pipe?

I don't think that you'll ever get anyone to admit that their pipe is a social prop. This is the age of binary thought. Even admitting that maybe sometimes, men especially are to afraid someone would accuse them of not being a "real" pipe smoker.

But, in instances of my daughters coming to ma with arguments where they are frantic about something between them, I will take out my pipe, make a halting motion with my hand, load my pipe, and take great care to do a ritualized ignition with the greatest of care to get them to wait, wait... Wait till they've calmed down. And, 90% of the time, after they have reflected upon the "thing" that had them so upset, sorts itself out in their minds, and I don't have to mitigate.
But, I am not a hand talker anyways. My wife is, and she uses a lot of gestures when she speaks. Me, I usually just chose as few words as possible to make a conversation go away, unless I am holding court after dinner with friends, and I have a tale to tell. Then, maybe I do puff a few times to emphasize a dramatic pause in the story. But, for the most part, I hate having conversations while trying to enjoy my pipe.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
In 95% of cases I smoke alone. I don't like to be disturbed while I'm smoking, that 45-60 minutes is about my relaxation after a long day. But when I talk with a pipe in my hand, of course I hold it also when I'm making hand gestures. I'm not waving or moving my hands too much, I'm Nordic you know, not Italian :lol:

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I enjoy smoking my pipe at the most when I'm alone so I seldom bring along it when socializing.

A pipe is a good enough company on its own.
Hand gestures and waving... nah, I'm swedish.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tend to smoke alone. Social interaction is too much of a distraction from my smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When you are with others, do you use your pipe as a social prop? Do you gesture with it, point, wave it around, pause significantly to puff?
I've only ever seen that on TV and in movies. People actually do that?

On the otherhand, I can't imagine smoking just to be smoking. I really only smoke while doing something else. It doesn't feel like multitasking, because smoking doesn't require me to do anything. It would feel like punishment if I had to set in a chair with nothing to do but smoke, like I am waiting on something, like death. Nope, let me set at my workbench and work while I smoke, or fish, or work the garden, or drive. Not that I really like conversing while smoking, because I don't like taking the pipe out of my mouth, or holding it... or answering questions... or other people in general. :puffy: JK People are ok. Just don't talk to me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It doesn't feel like multitasking...Not that I really like conversing while smoking, because I don't like taking the pipe out of my mouth
The talking is where the multi-tasking comes in.
EDIT: As far as the gesticulating goes, I only do that when I'm arguing with myself.

Jan 8, 2013
I just smoke the thing. Not really trying to be "oooh look at me! Look at me! I'm the guy with the pipe!"
I've only ever seen that on TV and in movies. People actually do that?
Only when their trying to be all... "oooh look at me! Look at me! I'm the guy with the pipe!"
:mrgreen:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
At a social gathering where I smoke, I tend to act the same as I would without it. Except I have it clenched in my teeth. I'm not one to flap my gums or arms that much.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Unless you're at a pipe club meeting you're automatically going to be that guy whether you want to be or not...no matter how casually you attempt to just smoke your pipe.
For most people these days it's like encountering an extinct prehistoric species.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I haven't had much of a social life since a bit before taking up the pipe. Not sure how they might integrate.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.