PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Is this really a fair price for this tobacco I know I was amazed to see that he's already lowered the price. http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151298271671

May 31, 2012
Damn straight it's worth it!
You ain't smoked until you've experienced Erinmore Cube Cut!
I say we have a group buy!

:idea:

Who's with me?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
20 bowls per tin, description says he will take $900... that's only 45 dollars a bowl!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is this really a fair price for this tobacco
It is if you're a brain dead schmuck.
Having had a number of opportunities to smoke super old tobacco, I'd say that it's a crap shoot. Some have been really good and some have clearly peaked and faded badly. The assumption that all tobacco continues to develop as it ages, assuming careful conservation, is absurd, just as it is with wine. With time, everything hits a limit and fades.
Of course, I have no opinion on the matter...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
No way, this hundred year old Pinot Gris is going to be transcendent when I uncork it in twenty years. I will even get some of those bamboo umbrellas like you see in magazines, so it will really shine. Seriously though, Sablebrush is spot on about wine and I assume tins as well. If they uncork an old bottle at your table and it's gone south, you are not paying for it. Even if someone wanted this, it seems like a terrible gamble on a consumable unless you would be satisfied with the tin and historical value alone for the asking price. Even if it is the best Erinmore you'll ever smoke, the price is insane.

May 31, 2012
il_570xN.595126076_7wqv.jpg

And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid listing just above my laptop door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a money demon that is dreaming,

And the plastic bag o’er him streaming throws his odor on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow lies madly overpriced on the whore

To be unopened — Nevererinmore!

Erinnevermore!
Yeah, that seller is nuts,

seriously nuts.
It's one of the most insane attempted auctions I've ever seen.
The seller says " I paid a high price for these tins.", if so, he got ripped off.
One of the references I came across on the boards was a guy who found some of this Cube Cut at a local tobacconist where they had found a bunch of these in a basement somewhere and were selling them at knocked down prices...
...yes, the Cube Cut is rare, but so what?

I've gotten 2 sealed tins of the Flake from the same era for under $10 and I don't think there'd be much difference between the two --- Erinmore is one of the easier vintage tins to find and you can usually get it for cheap because not many people want it!
The oldschool Murray's stuff is totally different from what we have today,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/canadian-lakeland-ghost

and it was a heavily flavored love/hate type of baccy...

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My guess on the five offers he has received would probably place them at or below $200.
"I'd like $900 for this incredibly old tin."
"How 'bout, NO!"
+1 @sablebrush, I'd lean more towards this having peaked and gone downhill.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Buy a fresh tin of Erinmore, throw it in the oven at 190 degs for 6 hrs and let cool and smoke, it will make you bark at the old crap. Although like Sablebrush I haven't an opinion on this.

May 31, 2012
Well, I think I'm going to treat myself and go ahead and get the old tin,

because I've found the perfect pipe to smoke it in,

a lovely Auld Erin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auld-Erin-9B-Made-in-England-RARE-/311008824527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4869920ccf

:P
But seriously,

thanks for bringing up the tin baking Bradley, I've done it in the past with very good results, but now I'm reminded to do it again...
...and thanks for sharing your butane lighter filling trick, one of the best tips I've come across and it really does work!

:idea:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Would you rather have 2 brand new sanblasted Rad Davis pipes or one tin of aged tobacco that may or may not be smokeable? I personally have a limit on what I would pay for an aged tin and it is no where near 900.00. Hell I wouldn't even pay 90.00 for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.