PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I sent the pics to the seller. They aknowledged it is mold and they are sending a replacement.

I am naturally suspicious on the age old mold vs plume/bloom debate. In the cigar world, people often say their cigars have plume/bloom and in 99% of the cases it is some sort of mold or fungi. One cigar forum site even sent a large number of different cigars to a lab and all came back as mold/fungi, although different strains were found. They have yet to find plume or mold.
We also had a guy on this forum send some plumed tobacco to his son or someone who did a lab analysis of it, and said that it was minerals. I have also seen someone post some lab results saying that it was sugars.
I am just suspicious of any forum lab tests being done and posted, period. People get hung up over supporting their theories. And, we cannot verify the lab, nor the results. And, there are things like how broad was the sample of the tobaccos taken that were tested? How many different labs participated in the analysis? With there being thousands of different tobaccos, and potentially multiple causes for the plum or mold, you'd need hundreds of samples to get semi-reliable, verifiable results.

Dec 24, 2012
Cosmic, I am no scientist. You can read the thread re cigars and decide for yourself:
https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/131757-foh-mould-study/

Dec 24, 2012
Nope, doesn't put me off it at all. Just makes me a bit of a skeptic, that's all, but I'm not anal about it. I also think that pipe tobacco may be a bit different because almost all pipe tobacco is topped, and any residual sugar in the topping might well crystalize into a white substance as the tobacco ages. Aged stonehaven often has a white residue on it, but it is not fuzzy in any way and my suspicion is that it is just the remnants of the treacle that is used to top SH. In any event, whatever it is, it doesn't taste or smell funny, and therefore I have no issue smoking it.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
That link to the cigars was interesting. It all looked like obvious mould to me and I was surprised there was any other offered explanation for it. I wouldn't smoke any of those cigars. They're mouldy!
In aged pipe tobacco, I've only ever considered the presence of crystallized sugars as being what people thought of as "good" or as a visual indicator of well aged tobacco... primarily in flakes.
Frankly, I had no idea that people also considered a blanket of white or other colour of fuzz/haze/fog/whatnot (or anything other than an obvious crystalline -sugar- presence) as a potential positive thing. To me, it was always mould.
How could anything not sugar like in appearance (glinting like crystals, which to my eye, most moulds do not share this property) not be some kind of mould?
What do people think it is?
I mean, other than some kind of unspecific "plume" or "bloom," which obviously, doesn't say much. I simply never looked up the word plume. Mould, being not dissimilar to a feather like substance makes a hell of a lot of sense now. I just figured you were all yammering on about sugar crystals whenever those words got tossed around!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I mean, other than some kind of unspecific "plume" or "bloom," which obviously, doesn't say much. I simply never looked up the word plume.
That's good, because plume is the shape of a dispersion. Bloom is the correct word for those crystalline structures.
Mould, being not dissimilar to a feather like substance makes a hell of a lot of sense now. I just figured you were all yammering on about sugar crystals whenever those words got tossed around!
Oh, and yammer we do.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Usually it's pretty clear whether or not it's mold or bloom. Like in this case. If not it usually reveals itself more clearly over a short period of time. Bloom doesn't mean much to me. I've had a lot of bloom covered flakes that weren't particularly exciting.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I suspect most people breath in way more mold spores each day than you'd ever get from smoking that tobacco. Unless it smells bad, I wouldn't have any problem smoking it. If it tastes good, I'd smoke it all. I'm sucking 6 to 8 bowls of smoke into my body each day, I'm not too concerned about some incinerated mold spores. But that's just me.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I can't erase some of the horror stories from my thoughts about breathing in mold spores. Probably nonsense but still haha.

Maybe mold spores do something to you, like some other gross things... like maybe licking toads. The first guy to look at a frog and wonder what it would be like to lick it, doesn't bother me. It's the guy who did it, and told his friends, "you gotta try this!" That's the guy that has an interesting story. :puffy:

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Its mold. Cut some of it off and smoke it

That's what I did with my Cajun kake and it was fine. Its mold mold mold. Anfew years ago it was considered sugar lol until that was pretty much debunked. Its mold.

until that was pretty much debunked.

I am curious. You believe that a bunch of cigars, having reported to be mold, overrides several posts on here with lab results that say it is a mineral? Are cigar forums more trustworthy? Is everything about cigars thusly apply to pipe tobacco? I just want to make sure I sheepishly follow the herd on this. I'd hate to be caught thinking or anything. :puffy:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Having read that entire thread and all of the results which allegedly debunked this, I am not convinced. Did they find that all tobacco has some mold on it, generally yes. Did they show that there are no mineral deposits, no. They tested for what they wanted to find and found it. But there was no mass spec result shown for the minerals that were also likely present. An analogy, if I am convinced that there is green dye in my beverage, I can spill it on my white shirt to show you how green it dyes my shirt. I have not, however, proven that this means there is no sugar in that drink. Just my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.