PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I just recently aquired some estate pipes on fleabay. One of them really intrigued me because it looks and feels like a Peterson, but doesn't have the name on it. The only clue is the "Made in London England" stamp in block letters on the shank. I've only come across English made Peterson's with that on. The mouthpiece is not a P-Lip, which I assume would be correct for a REJECT pipe. Furthermore the lack of "Peterson's" anywhere on the pipe would also suggest this.

Not being an absolute world authority, I thought I'd place it out there for the Pete Nuts to muse over and see what happens. The picture shows the Pipe, and it's a monster (a House Pipe I think), above a System '0' 313 (MADE IN ENGLAND).

DSCF0018.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Everything about it says Peterson. It may be someone forgot to stamp it or made it for themselves or, as you say, it's a reject. The reason it may be a reject is the slight gap I see at the top of the stem/mortice joint.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
OK here is my humble 2 cents worth.With apologies to the 'Old Barracuda' for my insolence and my temerity to contradict him!

In my opinion, never expect the norm with Petes.

I suspect that it is not a reject and is, or has been, made during the war period or during a period of austerity.Hence the lack of obvious Peterson stamps or stem emblems, which could have worn.I would offer the same for Chucks assertion of the stem gap and put that down to wear and tear over the years.Now the certainty, it has an "O" mark which indicates to me that it is a grade slightly under first quality.The fact that it has not got a P Lip does not necessarily indicate an inferior quality.BTW it is indeed a London made Pete.

Let the fireworks begin!!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Thanks for the replies guys.
Jim, the System '0' 313 was only there to show scale, and the House pipe, has no other markings on it other than 'Made in London England'
Chuck, yes... the gap is caused by a slight off centre mortice.
It is in lovely condition and although the stem had some pretty awful tooth wear (which I managed to shape out) it is very lightly smoked.
There are however, 2 fills on the oposite side to the COM, one of which is quite large (10mm) but has been well dyed and finished because it is not overly noticable.
Any clues as to a date range for the 'Made in London England' pipes (I know that COM falls roughly in the middle of the overall date range)?
By the way, I have started to notice something which I haven't seen mentioned on the various articles on Pete's. I have had 3 Systems, that carry a 'REJECT' Mark on it. All have had one thing in common (other than they do not have a P-Lip stem), the nickel mounts are NOT acorn shaped, see below:

DSCF0019.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
No fireworks Jim. You may very well be right. However... given the additional informaton about the fills and the London shop's tendancy to higher quality, I still think we have a reject Peterson.

As for the mounts on the two rejects in the last picture, those were common on reject pipes. They needed something to bolster the mount and didn't want to use the stamped acorn or bell shaped mounts on an inferior pipe. I say inferior refering only to fit and finish and not in smoking quality.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Thanks again Chuck, you're a star. In fact you're both stars.
Maybe I'll start a rival Pete Museum to Jim's called 'The Peterson Reject Museum'. I think I have enough of them now to start one, but I doubt I'll get sponsorship from Sallynoggin though!

Status
Not open for further replies.