Is there a Virginia Tobacco Shortage Overall?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I have noticed that the two places I generally order my tobacco from have a lot of straight Virginia tobacco out of stock. And I've been searching since June of last year. 4noggins and Smoking Pipes.

Example, Wessex Brigade Commander Dark, Irish Flake, Most of all Dunhill tobaccos. Rattray's Old Gowrie, the list is too long to list but you get my gist. I did manage to find some Sutliff Crumble Cake Red Virginia. Is this a reflection of an overall shortage in production?

Any thoughts?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dunhill is gone. Wessex is always hit and miss. Irish changed distributors and I believe manufacturers. Rattray's is always hard to find.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
+1 to Ash, Most of those are either hit or miss or have just been hard to find altogether. I'm trying to really branch out and buy small 1 ounce bulk quantities of things I want to try and think I might like that seem to be available. Right now I have some PS LNF that I am really digging and might go all in on a few pounds for the cellar. I'm trying to put my feelers out for any and everything so I can go all out and buy it in bulk when I get the chance.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
For Rattray's, see here,
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/rattrays/
:)

Jan 8, 2013
Damn, Exotic Passion went fast. Either they didn't have a large lot or it just went up in flames super quick!
Yeah, I've about given up on Exotic Orange (Exotic Passion... whatever they want to call it now). Every time it drops, news hits the forum, I go looking, and POOF it's already gone. It's a great blend. Fantastic, even. I'd even go so far as to say it's one of the most enjoyable blends I've ever tried. But, alas, I don't even see the point in trying anymore. There are too many other great blends out there I can be trying to stock up on, than to be getting my undies all up in a twist over it. Bagpiper's Dream, too. It's one of my favorite blends that I wish I'd stocked up on more than I did. Now I'm afraid to touch it because it's never in stock to replenish. A couple of years ago, Bagpiper was readily available, and I curse myself for not stocking up on it. I can get some now, sure. But next time I go looking for it to stock up some more it's going to say "Currently Out of Stock"

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If you don't already, I'd highly recommend the one time alerts! They've helped me more times than I can count. Doesn't do much good if you can't check your email or see the alert. Never fails though, stuff hits right when I don't have the money, so I have a different problem :rofl:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks to a fellow forum members timely PM I managed to grab 2 100gr tins of Old Gowrie from SPC but the Wessex I wanted was already sold out.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Jan 8, 2013
stuff hits right when I don't have the money, so I have a different problem :rofl:
I tend to have that same problem. Or what also often happens is I'm at work when I get an email. Get home from work, check email, see email, get excited, go to website, look for item.... item is already gone!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
To the original point, I think it is due to McClelland's departure from the scene. For pretty much the entire time I have been a pipe smoker, there have been shortages of various VA's. FVF, Wessex Brigade, Astley's even VA's within the McClelland line, but you could always find plenty from McClelland. They were the backbone of many smoker's VA rotation, for some they were their only choice in VA's. With them out of the picture, blends that already had spotty supply had to pick up the load of those looking for Virginia leaf.
In the same vein, imagine if C&D went under and we had to depend on McConnell and DAN for English mixtures.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 to Ash, Most of those are either hit or miss or have just been hard to find altogether. I'm trying to really branch out and buy small 1 ounce bulk quantities of things I want to try and think I might like that seem to be available. Right now I have some PS LNF that I am really digging and might go all in on a few pounds for the cellar. I'm trying to put my feelers out for any and everything so I can go all out and buy it in bulk when I get the chance.
+1 on Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. I saw it mentioned on here often as a solid basic VA/per so I put a few ounces into my last tobacco order and I am really enjoying and will definitely order a pound or two next time I place an order.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
+1 on Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. I saw it mentioned on here often as a solid basic VA/per so I put a few ounces into my last tobacco order and I am really enjoying and will definitely order a pound or two next time I place an order.
This past year I got a killer coupon stacking deal on PS blends and ended up with 3 pounds of LBF and a pound of LNF dirt cheap. So stoked about that. What a fantastic couple of blends these are. Can't wait to get some serious age on them...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As of last night, at least according to their online inventory, Top Hat had Wessex Campaign Brigade in stock. I put in an order and haven't gotten a notice yet they were out (which has happened with that site before).
You're likely to find many of the better or more popular Va Flakes have spotty availability. I have to believe McClelland and Dunhill dropping out of the market has created a significant void. But many were spotty before. SG FVF, BBF, SJF, Astley's 44, F&T CVP, Vintage, Rattrays and numerous others were mostly MIA all of 2018. When shipments were made, you had to be quick on the draw to score some. However, if you just look around, you can find it.
Don't overlook GLP Union SQ as well as C&D Opening Night. Both are generally available and very good IMHO. Capstan Blue and Gold Flake are a bit pricy but also very good and almost always available. Newminster has a surprisingly good Virginia Flake (No. 400 Superior Navy Flake) that is really good for the money. Sutliff also has a nice VA Flake in bulk. There are plenty of good Virginias available, you just have to work a little harder to get it than you used to.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks all for the suggestions.

hoosier, I've tried a few of those and will try some that you mentioned that I haven't tried.

I like Capstan Blue but find Gold just too bland.

Happy puffing all!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ll second (or third) signing up for the email alerts on the blends you’re looking for. Shipments of Rattray’s and Wessex drop every several months, but get bought up quick. I’m surprised the retailers don’t start selling futures on them

Status
Not open for further replies.