PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I went down to the motel lobby to get myself a cup of coffee to go with my Irish Aromatic. I had my pipe hanging from my mouth, a Christiano bent, but made a point of not puffing on it while in the lobby.
I guess you could still smell it though, because a fellow standing next to me preparing a bowl of cereal asked me "Is that black cherry?" indicating my pipe.
Irish Aromatic smells nothing like black cherry, but I understood the fellow has probably not had much exposure to pipe tobaccos and that was likely the only one that came to his mind. I just smiled, said no, and told him what it was.
I don't know what he was thinking but he had a very odd look on his face as he walked away. I can't tell if he was offended because he could smell it, was surprised that black cherry isn't the only pipe tobacco in the world, or something else entirely.
I just shrugged, finished getting my coffee, and came back to my room.
On a good note, despite taking a few minutes to get my coffee and walk back outside it only took a tamp and a couple of good puffs to get the bowl going again.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I met a pipe smoking friend here and we met for lunch at hooter's. We were smoking our pipes on the deck when this guy complimented us on the smell. He asked if we were smoking cherry tobacco. Niether of us were. I guess most aromatics smell the same to people.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I think smell and memory can be subjective. I often smell vanilla or licorice in tobaccos that don't have either. But it's a good thing for me, mad cow and all, lol. Might be perplexing to others.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i get that here a bit- folk always seem to think i am smoking Condor, regardless of what I am actually smoking, simply because most people are familiar with the name and it is about the only really widely available strong aromatic in UK...

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
:laughat:

was surprised that black cherry isn't the only pipe tobacco in the world
I've had similar experiences being asked if I was smoking cherry or black cherry when I wasn't. I think it could be possible that non-pipe-smokers do think that is the only kind of pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.