PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Theraphosids are cool! While doing research on bats in Africa I frequently encountered Pelinobius. I've noticed that Latrodectus are abundant in prairie dog colonies in the west. Seems like every old burrow unoccupied by prairie dogs has them. I've wondered about that.

Hummingbird Hawk Moth is often the colloquial name for Macroglossum, especially M. stellatarum. These are distributed in the Old World and not found in America. In Kentucky you have members of the genus Hemaris which are typically called Hummingbird Moths or Clearwing Moths (or here in Europe Bee-Hawk Moths). This illustrates the problem with colloquial names!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This illustrates the problem with colloquial names!
No kidding, here's what we have here.
hemaris1.jpg

Seems like every old burrow unoccupied by prairie dogs has them.
Xenesthis spiders often share burrows with Microhylid frogs. Interspecies symbiosis is really an interesting phenomenon to witness.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Ah, that is a familiar looking moth! Definitely Hemaris. I think thysbe or diffinis. You can see why they are sometimes called "Clearwing moths".

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
@embers and seldom
I realize you guys are trying very hard to be precise and specific about these things but please, stop using such common and everyday names for them and start using the proper terminology and taxonomy.
Example: "Big ass moth" or "big fat hairy spider"
We real aficionados would appreciate it :nana:

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Obviously from many of these post, pipe smoking has fallen into bad times. All sorts of degenerats are smoking now. What happen the class, being a gentleman of high standings, proper control of ones self? People, notice I didn't say gentlemen, please try and pretend you have been here before. We are better than common cigarette and cigar smokers. Act so. Now go put on some socks and a proper jacket!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I realize you guys are trying very hard to be precise and specific about these things
Specific by definition, in this context, refers to species. You'll notice that although sometimes going to the species level in this discourse we frequently only go to the generic or family level of identification.
But okay. Bugs.
(of course now using the colloquial use of the word "bug" which is to say not indicating the "true bugs" or members of the insect order hemiptera).

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Now go put on some socks and a proper jacket!
The jacket thing is simply out of the question...but I'll at least consider the socks over the course of my next bowl.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Obviously from many of these post, pipe smoking has fallen into bad times. All sorts of degenerats are smoking now. What happen the class, being a gentleman of high standings, proper control of ones self? People, notice I didn't say gentlemen, please try and pretend you have been here before. We are better than common cigarette and cigar smokers. Act so. Now go put on some socks and a proper jacket!
I assumed that the errors in grammar and spelling were done for comedic effect. Other posts by this individual cause me to question this assumption.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We are better than common cigarette and cigar smokers.
Been a pipe smoker for almost thirty years, and a tobacco user for a bit longer. Cigarette smokers tend to be a bit more social, and the world at large despises all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.