PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Obviously those dangerous blades cannot be left unregulated. Hard to believe the general public is allowed access to such barbarous items. Something must be done.
Indeed. I must buy more up to protect the innocent. :rofl:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
You could forget what you were doing and cut yourself badly
I've nicked myself with a straight razor exactly one time. It just happened to be the first time I used a straight razor.
embers...favorite shaving soap?

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
One time, quite a few years ago, I went to a drug store to pick up some more disposable razor cartridges. They were displayed in a locked case. - - - That is what is called a ‘clue’.
I researched double edged razors and soon switched after that.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
5star, I know what you mean re the expense of razor cartridges. That's why I buy bags of dirt cheap Walmart brand disposable razors-more affordable option for me. Though certainly have mixed feelings about the extra mass of plastic that will have to head to the landfill later. Think if I were younger, I'd consider safety razors due to this. But am an old enough dog that am not interested in changing at this point.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I got a Much cheaper & much better/closer shave when I switched to a double edge. There’s a little bit of a learning curve to start out, but not too bad.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
My solution to shaving is to have a beard. The last time I shaved my chin was in 1977. I trim it and shave my neck when I shower but that's it. Solves my razor problem.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I only switch blends just so I have something else to talk about. Mainly cause I have no friends. Lol
And I would probably only have one pipe and blend if it weren't for this forum.
But my eyes have opened to those things and I consider it a good thing.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Definitely a lot less than there used to be, but I still have enough left up there to only use a razor on my face, or at least parts of my face :)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
On the topic of nerdy pipe smokers, how many of you run around with a butterfly net catching specimens for your collection??? Come on, admit it. We know you're out there.

:rofl:
Hahaha! I’m sure a lot of non pipe smokers have that image of us in their heads. Don’t forget the ugly sweater, but don’t wear it, a good pipe smoker always wraps his sweater around his shoulders.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I would expect the whole traditional butterfly collector outfit complete with net to be a hipster thing. Not that they would actually be collecting butterflies, but just going around in that getup.
And yeah they'd have a pipe too for sure.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
On the topic of nerdy pipe smokers, how many of you run around with a butterfly net catching specimens for your collection??? Come on, admit it. We know you're out there.
As a matter of fact I do study butterflies. Only occasionally for work, although I have done some paid research on endangered butterfly species. I spend considerable time pursuing butterflies on the side (also moths, dragonflies, and damselflies).

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hummingbird hawk-moths are a fascination of mine.
10622946353_99ac03a821_b.jpg

Also spiders and mantids.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Nice photo of Macroglossum stellatarum Embers! Given your interest in Hummingbird Hawk-Moths I assume you are European. I've seen Macroglossum in Europe although I am American so am more familiar with Hemaris species which are also Sphingids and superficially similar in appearance and behavior.
I see you have an interest in spiders and mantids. I share your interest in spiders, especially the salticids.
I'll mention that Cicindelid beetles are another interest of mine.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Given your interest in Hummingbird Hawk-Moths I assume you are European
I'm a Kentuckian. Those little guys and their feathered counterparts compete around my feeders during the warmer months. My arachnid interests revolve around Theraphosidae and Latrodectus. Salticids are as fascinating as they are cute! My daughters call them teddy bear spiders. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.