PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Oh good, I was afraid that you were going to be one of those guys who constantly tells us how stupid we are for talking about stuff that you don't care to read, ha ha. We've had them.
I'd be a fool to make such suggestions :)
My post may have seemed dismissive about certain views and opinions, but that's not to say I'm arguing they're wrong - simply that they're not something I personally put any belief in.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I think pipe smoking changes slowly over time. I think we are led to believe that there is more change because we are the knowledge seekers delving deeper. This forum is dangerous for the wallet but great for the brain.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I bet that ten years ago, guys didn't discuss washing their pipes out with water after each smoke.
Legend has it someone got banned for that back then. Things have really gotten lax around here.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Whether the process of smoking a pipe, choosing tobacco and etc changes may be more an individual thing than a collective one. For many people pipe smoking invokes a sense of nostalgia which may delay any major changes.
As far as the world goes I think, but don't know, that there are fewer and fewer pipe smokers with every passing decade. The current paucity of pipe smokers in public is a major change from periods of time when pipe smoking was commonplace.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I think one thing the Internet has brought us is a means to access the knowledge of passionate enthusiasts in many various subject areas. Pick any hobby and there will be those who give it much more focus than the average consumer of that product. There are also degrees to which one can be involved. For example, after years of spending too much money on multi blade mediocre performing disposable shaving cartridges & being dissatisfied with electric razors- I did some research on wet shaving forums. I’ve been shaving with a double edge razor for some years now & am happy with the results. I found what works for me and need nothing else. In contrast, there are guys who collect razors and know all the history and characteristics of blades, razors, soaps, creams, brushes, etc.
I suspect the same elements come into play with pipesmoking.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I bet that ten years ago, guys didn't discuss washing their pipes out with water after each smoke. :puffy:

:lol: -Are you kidding? This is a dead horse that gets dragged out and beat up every ten Christmases or so ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In contrast, there are guys who collect razors and know all the history and characteristics of blades, razors, soaps, creams, brushes, etc.
Now that's just crazy talk.
20190307_163725.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Obviously those dangerous blades cannot be left unregulated. Hard to believe the general public is allowed access to such barbarous items. Something must be done.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ember, Bassbug...that's just crazy! You could forget what you were doing and cut yourself badly. No, No, No.
I've actually suffered worse from an unnoticed hole in the screen of an electric. Been wet shaving since I was 16, and couldn't be more satisfied. After seeing how expensive cartridges are now, no way I would go back! The straight razor at the top of my pic is over 200 years old with buffalo handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.