PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, so I have a cheap Rand bench polishing machine. I've had it about 7 months, and use it every week. Well it has started to act weird. After using it for about 10 minutes it will suddenly jerk and speed up, then slow back down to normal, then jerk and speed up again. So I figure it's either possessed by the spirits in my Everclear or I don't know what. Any ideas out there?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Without taking any electrical measurements I would guess that your potentiometer ( the variable speed knob)is going bad.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Alright then. I sprinkled some Irish whiskey on it and it just whimpered. So I am assuming that it is on the way out. Can't say I am surprised for only $60. Any recommendation for a replacement?

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I've never tried a washing machine motor but I'm all for repurposing old stuff. Sounds like a fine idea. Another option is to hit some flea markets and find a nice motor. I managed to get an old Dunlap that runs at1750 rpm's for $5. It's from the 1950's with a shaft on each side for $5 and it runs smooth and pretty quiet for it's age. I grabbed up a couple of arbors from Jestco. For under $40 I put together a buffer that runs like a champ. It doesn't have any speed variation though.

It's Sunday morning. Prime flea market time. Get out now and find yourself a good motor for cheap. You also can peruse and maybe get lucky with some pipes to buff on your new motor. Good luck!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I haven't encountered a washing machine motor that would suit as a buffer, without a lot of setup work. They aren't meant to be bench mounted, so you'd have to get pretty creative (I always look at them when I'm at the dump). I got rid of a washer last year, with a faulty transmission. The motor didn't really have a case over it, with exposed wires, etc. I guess they aren't build to be outside the washing machine frame.
A furnace motor is perfect and is one of the two that I have.
Try your local electric motor repair (1725 rpm, 1/2 hp). I just acquired the 1/2 hp motor and find if vastly superior to my old motor, which was only 1/4 hp.
You could try and jumping out (bypassing) the variable speed feature on your motor, the likely culprit (or get that local electric motor repair to put on a new one).

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Alright so I really appreciate all the advice. Just one little problem, I am not handy enough to have any real hope of success when it comes to repurposing a furnace/washer motor into a buffer. The family knows to send me on beer/pizza runs when there are house projects to be done. So any advise on a already built buffer?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found one on Craigslist. They are heavy to ship, so Ebay, etc can be too costly. Unfortunately, most of you will find are grinders, that operate above 3,000 RPM's, not ideal for pipes (can be used, but carefully). Harbor Freight, etc. all sell bench grinders.
If you don't want to build one, that leaves buying new of course. There are many new options, all quite pricey, by my wallet:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Buffing-System-1725-RPM/G1061Z

(Baldor motors, etc are all in that price range, or higher)
Perhaps this will spark some creativity

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Actually, I found my last on Facebook marketplace, not Craigslist but a Craigslist search (via search engine "Tempest") would be a good starting point.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's from the 1950's with a shaft on each side for $5 and it runs smooth and pretty quiet for it's age."
That is from the era when things were made to a standard and not to a price as is the case today. That motor should easily last you for the rest of your days.
It's very difficult to buy anything of quality these days what with container loads of utter junk arriving daily at our shores from the far east.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But it's shiny utter junk! The microwave in my cottage died, and the repairman said the new ones are expected to last no more than five years.... And they could be built to last a life time.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Mawnansmiff, that is exactly why I go and search these things out. Why should I pay more for something that will break down when this old stuff that WAS built to last is out there? I find these old things at fine prices too. Here is a pic of my set up. Everything, including the work bench, cost me under $40. I can will this set up off to someone after I croak and I have no doubt that it will last for decades after I'm gone.

tmp_20900-06251717331721718377_zpsid2uwqtc.jpg
[/url][/img]

I also love the old fans made by Westinghouse, Century and Emmerson. Old fans are my other addiction next to old pipes. Fly reels too. There's nothing like the sound of an old click and pawl Hardy Brothers reel when a fish takes some line. I'd rather spend my money on old things that will last any day.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Not to hijack the thread but my buffer runs well but it is out of balance or something as it causes the whole work table to shake. Any idea how to correct that issue?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Shain, it sounds like the bearings might have collapsed. I would isolate it from the mains then strip it down to be certain. If one of the races has indeed given up then you should be able to replace them.
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree, you need new bearings most likely. A little tricky for a home repair, but a local motor shop should be able to press in new bearings.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Before ripping your buffer apart check to see if it has isolation pads (little rubber feet) on it. These are meant to absorb the vibration of the machine and if one of them goes bad (torn or stiffened from age) it will yield the symptoms you are describing. Also, with the machine off, grab the end of the shaft and check it for excess play.

Status
Not open for further replies.