PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is an early 60's Tanshell ODA bulldog whose owner wanted a Lucite stem made to match the original. (Green something something $#&$@!!, grrrrr..... :lol: )
Normally a re-stem is a re-stem, but the combination of blasted finish and faceted (diamond) shank/stem design made this one especially difficult technically, so I thought you guys might like seeing it.
Besides, nice Tanshells are always exciting as a categorical thing. (Luvs me them Tanshells) 8)
The only deviation from the original's shape and dimensions was to "un-do" the wear caused by buffing. Meaning the new one's edges were left a bit crisper on the copy, and the button made about 10 thousandths taller)
EUprxIl.jpg

AEyl62i.jpg

ltRthYn.jpg

May 31, 2012
Clicked on this thread because as soon as I read the title, the old commercial catchphrase flooded my memory banks. :)
Pleased to see a luverly TanShell.
Nice photos.
Love the saddle reflections, a near perfect symmetry.
Knowing how finely detailed you do stemwork, I'd say that your new one is much better than cassette quality, no tape hiss whatsoever -

pure like 180g vinyl yet crisp like a remastered cd.
The lines of light tell the tale.
Spot on.
Gorgeous stuff.
I think you pay particular attention to the inner dynamics also,

so the draw is probably to die for.
:puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh. And the reflections don't quite match, either! Beautiful precision work.
On the second photo, with the stems side by side, am I seeing just a tiny bit of green sheen from the previous heavily oxidized stem?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's one of those classy bulldogs that retains its shape despite lack of a bead line. That stem retrofit is a study in precision. Congratulations. 'Love the cant on that bowl, more jaunty than most 'dogs, and a great finish on the bowl.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Beautiful work and beautiful pipe. My second favorite shape after the bent billiard.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Glad you're diggin' it, guys. Thanks for the props. :D
Walt --- I'll do better next time, I promise. Dust speck alignment has just been added to my "learn it" list. :lol:
Note to anyone who might want to try the interchangeable "acrylic smoking stem" thing. (Cuz it is a cool way to shut down the oxidation hassle while preserving the value of collectable pipes, right?) There is a BIG potential gotcha if overlooked or ignored: Absolutely identical tenon size---meaning below a thousandth---is required. For length as well as diameter.
Because wood swells and adapts to shapes from cycling heat and humidity, if one tenon is larger in diameter than the other, the smaller one will be fall-out loose when they are switched. And if the tenons are different lengths, the longer one will show a light gap at the stem/shank junction when it is put in.
Also, if a pipe's MORTISE is not truly cylindrical, don't even try to make an interchangeable smoking stem for it. A world of pain awaits if you do. For all practical purposes it can't be done. (While leaving the pipe as-is, anyway... it can be done by re-cutting the mortise and truing and expanding the old stem before starting to make the copy, but doing those things requires $pecialized tool$ that a hobbyist is unlikely to have.)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
MLC strikes again. :clap:
You must have access to an entirely different Internet than the rest of us... the stuff you find is amazing! :lol:
I'm going to totally save a copy of that, of course. :mrgreen:

May 31, 2012
:P
The wonders of eBay never cease.
Although I much preferred the world back when one had to earn his stripes by scavenging thru the dusty rust of actual physicality,

I do very much appreciate that these oddball thangs are so easily available via a simple push button interface!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141800742820?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
These kids nowadays have no idea that such esoteric information used to be very hard won,

with much digging,

getting dirty in the trenches,

and expending much energy ---

it's so damn'd easy now,

they simply don't know how good they've got it!
Coddled bunch of spoiled brats.

:wink:
Edit:

damn, that's the wrong link.

There were 2 WDC repair kits on offer at the moment.

I neglected to watch that one and only saved the pic as to make a meme LOL.

:lol:

I can't find the one with that brochure image now, but it's out there,

somewhere.
:puffpipe:

May 31, 2012
Ah!
Found it!
$299 + $60 shipping,

that explains why I neglected to watch it!

:lol:
Here be it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Tobacco-Pipe-Repair-Cabinet-FULL-of-antique-parts-NO-RESERVE-/221914056592?hash=item33ab1bc790:g:Od0AAOSwl9BWHthx
Eight days left!
Yowza!

8O

Status
Not open for further replies.