PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Latakia blends give me intense heartburn. It feels like acid starts churning in my stomach and starts bubbling up.
I love the smell and taste of Lat blends, but the pain of the heartburn makes it impossible for me to enjoy.
I can tolerate blends with a pinch of it, but not much more.
I tried some Father Dempsey this weekend. As great as it tasted, the heartburn kicked in big time and ruined it.
I am an cigarette ex-smoker (7 years off), and I do inhale pipe smoke a little... especially non-aromatic burley blends.
This only happens with Latakia blends... and it starts happening within 5 minutes of smoking it.
Does this happen to anyone else?
I can't think of anything else that I drink or eat that gives me heartburn... except the occasional late night meal.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
I guess that the problem is that you inhale. Mabey try focusing on not inhaling the smoke with a lighter blend and then after some practise you will quit that old habit of always inhaling.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I think that's happened to me for a few times I smoked pipe. Especially when using my Venini pipe. No matter what blend did I smoke, chest started to tightened and sometimes heartburn occurred. Try not to inhale. It helps me a lot. For a matter for the cause, maybe something in the latakia did it

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A friend of mine can't smoke Perique blends for the same reason. Any kind of Wintergreen chewing tobacco sets my stomach on fire.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
This doesn't happen to me, but I do not inhale. I smoke almost exclusively Latakia blends. I do retro-hale nearly every puff.
Side note: I can't smoke burley blends. Burley, if used more than condimental levels, burns my mouth. I get sores and swelling from burley.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I posted a comment about heartburn 2 years ago. Here is the link.
Dunhill Royal Yacht was giving me a heartburn if smoked too hot. I have been there feeling what you are feeling right now. I sat down and started thinking; who else may have a heartburn, but have to stay away from drugs and find a home remedy? Pregnant ladies! You know what pregnant ladies do when they have a heartburn? They drink a shot of pickle juice. Not sweet but salty ones.
I guess you know what causes a heartburn (acidic drinks, alcohol, soft drinks, junk food, tomato, etc.). Other than staying away from stimulants of heartburn, I take a shot of pickle juice whenever my GERD kicks in. It may a subjective solution though, give it a try and see if it works.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I went thru a bout of heart burn awhile back , not smoking related , the medical advice is all the same ... use acid reducers , which I think treats the symptoms not the cause .
The long term solution I found was to reset to a healthy gut , surprisingly simple to do , avoid some things , no late nite snacks , eat more to support your natural metab , which is kinda different for each individual. No drama and it works .

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
It's not just you.
For me, it's the same 5 minutes, but the reaction is getting sick to my stomach. I'm not talking unsettled here, I'm saying full blown heaving...yuck!

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
...drink a shot of pickle juice
Yup
Lots of other enzymatic foods too , try lemon and water , sauerkraut , pickles , kimchi ...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was going to say “Yes, it’s just you”, but obviously that’s not the case. I smoke straight Latakia, with no ill effect, but I don’t inhale. I think that’s your issue. You really don’t know exactly what Latakia was smoked with. The woods used contain a complex variety of oils.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
My swmbo also took a low dose pyridoxine and antihistamine to help with nausea from being preggers , turns out to be ordinary vitamin b6 , found in bananas

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I suffer from heartburn occasionally. I use an inhibitor like Prilosec to keep it in control. I try to make sure I take the medicine but sometimes smoking will trigger it if I forget.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I had GERD really bad about 9-10 years ago and my doctor put me on a prescription drug (Aciphex) once a day. I lost 80 pounds about 6 years ago and changed my eating habits...that helped a lot. Doctor took me off Aciphex and now I take OTC medication as needed.
As to the original post. No, Latakia doesn't give me heartburn...I don't inhale though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
tried some Father Dempsey this weekend. As great as it tasted, the heartburn kicked in big time and ruined it
That is too bad. He always goes with me to the golf course.

This doesn't happen to me, but I do not inhale. I smoke almost exclusively Latakia blends. I do retro-hale nearly every puff.
Side note: I can't smoke burley blends. Burley, if used more than condimental levels, burns my mouth. I get sores and swelling from burley.
Same here. I have also a mental aversion to Burley.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Side note: I can't smoke burley blends. Burley, if used more than condimental levels, burns my mouth.
I have a similar issue with burley, not as severe, but mouth soreness when I smoke it in some blends, and always if I smoke it straight (i.e. Solani Aged Burley Flake)...
I can always tell if a blend has burley in it from the mouth sensation...this doesn't happen with other blends.
CW

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Thanks, that's a lot of very helpful information. I typically don't inhale pipe smoke because it is heavier and it can burn. I don't inhale the smoke like it was a cigarette, but I do like to let the smoke hit my throat (20% of the time during a bowl). I am okay with that. It seems that with Latakia I should never inhale.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
The only thing I can think of that gives me heartburn like that is Pappa Johns pizza. Instant intense heartburn.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I haven’t tried smoking a pizza yet , but I’ll give it a whirl

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
only happens with Latakia blends
Dang, tango, that just sucks. I'm sorry, man. And not inhaling either. :( Me, I'm like woods; I do lats either in heavy blends or straight, never a problem. Wish I could help. -sigh-
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.