PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'tango, if you only get reflux with Latakia, and are happy without it, you are lucky. Reflux can mess up your esophagus (food tube), so avoid any regular problem with that. One low dose OTC med helps me avoid reflux, with an extra now and then if I eat supper late or eat a heavy meal. My only direct identifiable problem with pipe blends has been mouth burn with some aromatics. I think Latakia is overused in pipe blends, but I do enjoy a number of Lat blends. Not really necessary to use it in every second blend in my 'umble opinion.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
That's just your body gearing up for a massive jammer. Best to shrug it off and carry on like all good men do.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I've had reflux for about as long as I can remember, before ever trying tobacco. And so I've tried many approaches and have many thoughts on the subject. As with so many health issues it's a complicated one with many aspects. Wow how many more times can i say many? Anyway I'd rather not drone on though o I'll leave you with a preventive and a treatment, without affecting ability to consume the latakia if you so desire. One is eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, they will make you less acidic overall. And if it's bad and you feel like your stomach might digest the rest of you they try aloe Vera gel juice. Not the juice without the gel. The gel look like sea monkeys swiming in the juice but they are sweet morsels of relief. Or you can just get an aloe plant, cut a leaf open and suck out the contents but the juice has some sugar and goes down easier. It comes in square bottles from Korea mostly..

I wish you luck in your battle with acid and if you desire the extended version of this just say the word.. haha..

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Latakia and even dark fired can give me heartburn. I guess smoking is an irritant in general but smoke-flavoured tobacco is much worse for it. I find the same with peaty scotches, for example. Blended scotch or bourbon are usually fine but peaty single malts can be an instant trigger for me.
I can still smoke Virginias so that is the main thing...

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Some sort of Virginia gives me heartburn, and I don't inhale. Smoking the blend with a filter was my solution. Actually ... Wild Atlantic by Peterson also gave me heartburn, same solution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.