PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjshaw29

Lurker
Apr 1, 2017
Is it bad as a newbie that my favorite tobacco so far is carter hall? (Maybe I'm an old soul hahaha!) Just find the taste more enjoyable then the aromatics. Love a bowl of carter and a beer at the end of the work day. Also does anyone else inhale the pipe smoke???

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Nothing wrong with Carter Hall. It's not my go to, but its nice from time to time. I don't inhale either as its strongly frowned upon by my doctor, and my lungs don't like me when I accidently do so I don't.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Gjshaw29: like Jesse, I also prefer Russ Oullette's match, Chatham Manor, but I like Carter Hall, too, as well as several other OTCs. Don't let anybody rain on your parade for it. What matters most in pipe smoking is that you smoke what you like, and if others disagree or try to change your mind, well, it's their problem, not yours. Stick to what you like, and if you want to venture into other blends, that's up to you. You know what you like better than anybody else.
Btw, I don't inhale either. Never learned after almost 42 years of pipe smoking. When I accidentally do it, I cough like a beginner.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just for you gjshaw, I'm smoking a bowl of Carter Hall in a Dunhill. Nothing wrong with the classics. :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
One of my biggest regrets is not exploring the old OTC blends when I was starting out.

The burning characteristics of a blend are something that you can't entirely control, and sometimes it's just better to pick a blend that you know burns well.

Everyone raves about Virginia flakes, and they certainly are tastey after a year in a jar, but no matter what I do I can't keep a flake burning well enough to really enjoy it (I require a blend that will burn well on just a couple of sips per minute, otherwise my mouth gets way too sore, probably a compound result of already having bad dry-mouth).
Oppositely a bowl of Carter Hall is something I can acutally relax with and smoke at my own pace. Decent flavor and no fuss.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Since coming to this forum and making it my 'web pipe home' I have heard so much about Carter Hall. Although an otc blend, it seems to be a much-loved blend, even for experienced smokers well used to more 'challenging' smokes. Sadly, it does not seem to be available in the UK.
It makes me curious - once I have fulfilled the necessary requirements I will certainly try to organise a tobacco swap so that I can try it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've just tried Carter Hall, had some in the cabinet for over a year and opened a pouch last week. A nice change from my usual blends. Next up will be Prince Albert or Velvet, both over almost two years old and never got around to trying :oops:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mike, I too was initially intrigued by this seemingly very popular US OTC blend that everyone and his dog talks about until I read that it is an aromatic (bourbon & chocolate) tobacco and I'm afraid that put me off. Also it's a ribbon cut and though there's nothing wrong with ribbon cut blends I prefer my flakes...they burn that much slower.
BTW, I predict your doorbell will ring on the morrow just as I expect mine to :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 28, 2015
I would not let that description turn me away Jay. I have never really thought of it as an aromatic although I suppose it is mildly. As cosmic mentioned it is a great blend to smoke while doing yard work. I don't really smoke it often but always enjoy it when I do.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Jay - ribbon is ok with me and although I am not an aro guy really, I don't mind them as a change of pace now and then - I used to occasionally smoke Craven aromatic (blue pouch) which had a rather pleasant biscuit/toffee kind of taste.
I'll let you know about the doorbell!
Mike

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ahhh this thread was meant for me! I've been smoking a pipe for 5 years now, and started with Carter Hall, and my favorite tobacco is STILL Carter Hall to this day. My mouth hates all other blends. I however do not inhale my pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.