PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad played golf once or twice a year for business, and with no practice, was pretty good. My late wife's dad was an ardent golfer and played once or twice a week into his 70's, until his eyesight gave him trouble. My brother-in-law likes a good round of golf. I used to go to the driving range with my dad, and liked that, until my lower back began making my vision go white with pain. Dropped that and bowling. It's my understanding that the golf industry is currently in a distinct downward trend, courses closing, equipment. What's your take? Do you play? What's the trend?

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
DIsc golf is free to play almost at every course, you can buy everything you need for less than $20, used way less land, and its approachable, does have the classist history attached to it, and doesn't take hours to play.
It does have a well earned reputation of attracting stoners, lol.

Reactions: mtwaller and ron123

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Tried it a few (2-4) times. I had an OK time, but I didn't become a fan. Never been into sports, really. And since I'm of the belief that sports are more fun playing them than watching them, I ain't gonna waste time watching some guy whack a ball, or kick it, or throw it.

Now, if it's golf with a shotgun (clays), that's a completely different story: I'm all for it! ?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Golf courses make me restless. I'd rather walk than fiddle with the cart, clubs, etc. Personal service like a caddy would make me unsettled. Apparently you have to get into it to find it riveting, though many people play and love it, like a way of life. I'd tend to walk away, not in disgust, just to keep moving.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What’s that saying? “Golf is a walk, ruined.”

When I lived in the city, I loved golf because I got to spend half a day in nature. Now that my backyard ends at a forest and a stream, I find my golf clubs dusty in the garage.

Having two toddlers might also have something to do with it.

Same

Oh hell yeah!!!?

My Archery club has a golf type game for Archery.

It consists of 3-D targets arranged in a fashion one must walk the course and shoot from either the black, blue or red markers. One keeps score depending on how close you are to the prefect "Kill" zone. It's a lot of fun and takes an hour or two to complete. Below is a picture of my "clubs" :) It's good exercise and works your upper body muscles.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Participation in sports is aways an up an own thing. Another Tiger or some such and numbers will jump. As far as a poor use of land, doesn't that depend on the income generated or, in the case of a country club, it's nobody's business but the owners. If the few hundred members and families enjoy themselves, I would say it's moneys well spent.

Reactions: sandollars

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Golf is my passion. Picked up a deal at a very nice course this year and next. Unlimited golf for $90.00/yr. Play in two leagues. Its a sport you can play well into old age. Fresh air, walking, a decent cigar. Love it. And, if I didn't have the Golf Channel, I wouldn't need a television.

Mike S.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I enjoy it and play a couple times a week in the summer. I suck at it, but I still enjoy it. Like Mike said, you get some fresh air, a little stroll (I never use a cart), a few nice smokes. And more importantly, it's time set aside to hang out with your buddies shooting the breeze. I'd usually rather go fishing, but it's too much of a hassle around here to pop out for a little morning fishing and still get some work done that day, whereas 9 holes is two hours including drive time.

I'd say the average age of the people I see out on the public courses where I play (8-12 bucks a round, btw) is about 50-55, which doesn't bode well for the future of the sport - not in this area, at least.

Reactions: dcon

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Two things I really miss! Playing golf and riding a motorcycle. Health wise, can't do either any more. Was on the computer the other night looking at new bikes, the wife walks by looks and says..."Have you lost your mind!". Sums it up...?

Reactions: hobie1dog

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Used to play a bunch. Major time suck though...and nobody (business wise or otherwise) seems to have the time or interest these last few years. I see it waning.
As mentioned in a few prior post, I’d also rather shoot clays, jump on my motorcycle, launch a few arrows, go mountain biking, go for a hike (or lunting!) or go to the shooting range...

Reactions: gamzultovah
Status
Not open for further replies.