Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are fax apps, so that you don't need a fax machine anymore, but you need something that you can transfer filled out documents with actual signatures on them. Those Verisign things, I just don't trust them. All they do is send the IP of the computer used, and most of us have computers that are shared by the whole house. You don't actually need a fax machine. Just snap a picture of the document and send via a fax app, which is a lot more reliable than sending an email with the doc enclosed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Point taken. I should know, combing through emails every day to delete all the endless spam. I guess I feel a change in the way email is used, and the fact that people don't use it for personal contacts as often, or in the same way, and often don't read or respond. Something's changed. So, no, email is alive and huge, in its way. Give someone a thrill and send them a snail mail; or at least, that is to say, I have had some strong upbeat responses to sending real letters, it is such an unusual experience in this day and time. Your letter will be buried in the usual junk mail, but if it gets sorted out, your reader may experience a thrill.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Primer on the medical industry and fax - they view faxes as the only secure way to transmit confidential information - there is no good wholistic method of transmitting from provider-to-provider patient info because not everyone uses secure email portals etc.... and no one is on the same EMR system.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, FAX has some specific uses and is in certain applications irreplaceable. At work, we had a young intern, a real sharp woman who could make computers sing, but when we asked her to FAX something, her face went blank -- and this was maybe fifteen or eighteen years ago! That technology was too old fashioned for her. May as well have asked her to shoe a horse.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
<p>Teenagers almost exclusively seem to not use email for communicating...just my personal observation. That being said, I deal with way more(emails, not teenagers) than I care to every day just like the rest of you. So, yeah, I wish it was dead

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can still shoe a horse. Well, if my back allows for such.
Excellent! I can still shoe myself, and don't even want to think about my back.
I remember as a kid the smithy coming around to shoe my sister's horses. What a fascinating operation he had!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Email dead?
I didn't even realize rotary phones were dead until I saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

My printer/scanner thingy also send faxs. I still see dedicated fax machines at the electronic stores, but I think that people use the fax apps more. I know that my layer prefers PDF's, but I am not sure if they realize how easy it is to fake a document in Photoshop or a PDF program, and then save it as a PDF.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Who remembers the telex machine?
Back when the telex was common for overseas communications was the time you had to ask if someone had a fax machine you could send them something on - because they weren't that common yet.
I use text and FB Messenger for nearly all personal communication.
I use email almost solely for business - sending proposals, invoices, filing communications & agreements in folders for safe keeping.
In my other website publishing operation, all of my writers are 20-somethings that use text for 90% of their communication, which is one big reason I'm glad I switched to Mac 2-years ago - you can text from your desktop computer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kevin, you are pretty nimble in the digital world. I'm so quirky about adapting to new tech, I feel it's held me back, though I'd likely be just where I am anyway. My ten-year-old Mac desktop stopped sending updates to the search engine many moons ago, and I can open about a third of web sites not including many of my favorites like smokingpipes.com. I know some seniors who enjoy the challenge of technology almost as much as kids, though the kids have the advantage of having grown up with digital, and regarding even practical uses as a sort of game, rather than a frustration and humiliation. My work place training on the ancient and discontinued DEC PC systems was like aversion therapy, and I never quite fell in step with the mainline Microsoft and Apple worlds, but Apple works better for me and my "condition." Anyway, your shifts from different platforms, and your adaptation to generational norms is pretty nifty. Keep up the good work, as they say.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Email in my world is on life support. I purposely try to use it to keep it alive. But I don't do Facebook, so I mainly text for everything.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
How can you retrieve a read/deleted text? I really don't know how, Iphone 8 & Verizon.

I can with an email.

I also print out all on paper that I have to keep.

Paperless ????, I am buying the paper & ink & printer so it isn't paperless, just shifted cost to the recipient and away from sender/vendor/Gov. et all.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I live and die by email for my business. My personal life is phone calls and limitrd texts. I prefer to talk to someone than wear my thumbs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.