PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Happy Sunday, fellow pipists! :puffpipe:
I picked up this once-beautiful-but-currently-quite-sad Dunhill from 1955(?). The crack in the bowl was not noticeable when I bought it, but since I didn’t pay all that much for it, I don’t mind. My only question is, am I being silly for wondering if there is any life left for this pipe? I’ve heard of some guys using all sorts of mixtures or glues/epoxies to patch a crack like this, but I’ve heard equal amounts of warnings saying all those things give off toxic fumes when heated. Are there any restoration guys out there looking for a challenge? And if so, is the cost of a full repair for this poor fella (bowl crack and new white spot stem) going to be so high that I’d be better off just tucking this away as a curious little display piece?
All thoughts are appreciated. Have a swell evening, all.
f0bcd6e9-eed0-45a6-a030-081a3dd55e4d-600x374.jpg

d7874b5e-70eb-453b-8f55-e106b0438ebd-600x443.jpg

7b24c65d-7a23-4e0c-bf44-eadb2d8ee1bb-600x543.jpg

5d6b40fc-0791-437a-bc69-07c09f18adc2-400x600.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That is too bad, Steve. It’s always a let down to get a flawed estate pipe. That said, it might be smokeable still. I personally wouldn’t go the route of restoration for this pipe (or the expense). I would just light it up and see if she smokes. Pipe mud in the inside bowl for sure.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Chamber is mildly caked but in great shape. I figure getting the broken tenon out is as easy as twisting a screw in there and gently pulling it out. I considered the pipe mud route. Always had plenty of success using it on old clunkers and it works perfectly. Just didn’t know if there was any hope of beautifying it. It does have a lot of character. Might be a neat little piece just cleaned up and bowl-coated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This pipe could have quite a few smokes left in it. My father only smoked one pipe at a time, most of the day long, after breakfast to bedtime. When a pipe burnt out, unless it was un-smokeable, he'd keep that as his lone back-up. Sometimes, he'd smoke that one if the following pipe really crashed, and it would work for a few days until he got to a favored pipe source, I think often a downtown Chicago newsstand that sold solid pipes, though no Dunhills for thrifty Dad. So that illustrated that doomed pipes can still smoke, even though you can't expect to smoke them hard. Or you could have a pro do a true repair and hope for the best; smoked lightly, it could go for quite a while, and quite a bit longer if repaired. By the way, his blend was always Granger, except for a few years off for King Edward cigars, then back to Granger. Some of the pipes he smoked as back-ups were considerably more damaged than this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife teasingly calls me the safety officer, but it is worth remembering a pipe with a crack in the bowl is more likely to break apart and spill embers, so keep the fire safety aspect in mind even more with this pipe.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are guys around who can save pretty much anything, and yours looks like it would be worthy of a really competent restoration.

Re-born Pipes would be one place to look.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The reborn pipes site has many entries for repairs that I would have long given up on, but prove that just about anything can be fixed.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
That is a really sweet pipe and well worth trying to save.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Many many thanks all, for the advice, opinions, and recommendations! I’ve received a few PMs from some kind and adventurous chaps offering to do the bowl repair for me, which I will respond to shortly. I’ve been given expert advice stating that while a repair is quite possible, it offers no guarantee of longevity. It may last a lifetime, or it may last one smoke. That’s a gamble I’m willing to take, though, so I will have it done eventually. I will make sure to post more photos when it is treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.