PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Title says it all, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1944 Dunhill Bruyere small billiard for ~$100, condition looks pretty good, strong stamps. bit is vulcanite, not horn. It does look like a Dunhill factory stem. Were they always horn during the war years?
Doc

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo do
The war years put a dent in Dunnie production. (One of) their shops even got visited by the Luftwaffe. Since rubber/vulcanite was war materiel, frivolous uses like pipe stems were curtailed. Pipes got horn stems in the interim, with the proviso that once rubber again became available, a customer could have the factory restem a horned (horny?) pipe with vulcanite.
hp

les

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Found a 1943 ODA BRIAR with Valcun stem, my Birth year, 550$, at SPC, jumped on it and was very happy, got a 1940 Dunhill Billard bought and held till the old gent passed, grandson sold it to me, also have a 1944, if you can get the war years, Get Em.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sarcasm?? Moi?? I hope that's not that often. I try to call 'em as I sees 'em, and I try to avoid responding to fatuous posts, but don't always succeed. Maybe I'll mellow when I get old!

Status
Not open for further replies.