Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
haha you're right. totally my bad.

IT is a dang nice pipe.. I was a little surprised to see the pricing so close to a full quality piece.

I'm definitely no expert, and judging by some of your posts you are more experienced then me. That being said, I always thought it was recommended to smoke half bowls in a new pipe to encourage an evenly formed cake, not to prevent rim charring.
from my experience cake (even what's left after wiping the bowl out) helps protect the rim.. I don't fully understand why.

and I'm not that experienced I don't think... I just try to glean information when I can and from experiences I've had.

I had a few pipes I filled all the way to the top from the get-go and the rims got darker than other pipes where I used the half-bowl method.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's a very nice looking pipe, OP. Very nice grain. FYI, the tennon on the stem should (and probably does) fit all the way into the mortise so that there is no gap area between the stem and the bowl (aka the "stummel").

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
That's a very nice looking pipe, OP. Very nice grain. FYI, the tennon on the stem should (and probably does) fit all the way into the mortise so that there is no gap area between the stem and the bowl (aka the "stummel").
The deluxe model looks that way. I was never fond of that but the grain on that pipe is steller.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I just looked them up.. they're not even that cheap!?!?!? why?

why not dish out 20-30 more dollars and get a first quality pipe?

I figured they'd be like half price.
Some of us are bargain hunters and don't mind a few flaws for a few dollars extra. It adds up.

Yes, some of the pipes I would just buy new, but this particular pipe new is about $60-70USD more than what I paid, considering conversion costs.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
good point for that it’s a great deal and a great pipe! Surely smokes wonderfully as a true system. I’ve been eyeing a pub pipe but haven’t picked one up yet.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan

On this pipe, no. Many Peterson's are designed like this, and I actually prefer this aesthetic look to it. If I push anymore it will forever be stuck and be Grade 3 Irish Trash.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Say what you will about your own methods of pipe filling, lighting, smoking, etc.

I have also heard so many conflicted stories, most of which I think are the devils advocate just for the fun of it, and I don't mind. Good conversation has always been hadover a pipe, right?

Truly, I have had no problems with loading my new pipes up to the rim and just smoking. I find it too tedious to care. Heck, some collectors buy pipes that will never be smoked, and will be passed on to the next one who will never smoke it. At least when this pipe gets handed down to the next lucky sap, will know it was smoked with love.

I used to delicately use matches and hold the flame over the pipe and slowly rotate it. Every pipe I had smoked since I stopped doing that has built cake just fine.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Yep, those pipes were designed to have a gap. Have heard it claimed that over time of smoking them the gap lessens. but have not found that to be true of my deluxe system pipes. I also like the aesthetics of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.