PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
So I recently received a Irish Second Smooth Bent Billiard. Took about 3 weeks to arrive from Ireland to South Korea. I had actually been eyeing the non-reject full price pipe for a few months and just couldn't bite the bullet for the longest time. Luckily I was subscribed to a newsletter that led me to finding this pipe and at a steal (almost 50% off)

You can already tell what manufacturer it is without any of the nomenclature, but considering it's markings, I still consider it a Peterson, not an Irish Second. The shape itself is a D18, which resembles the same dimensions as the 2015 Founders Edition Peterson.

It's a system pipe, with a stinger and sterling silver band with an exceptional birdseye grain on both sides.
The dimensions are the same as their Pub Pipe, which this is (if you want to get to specifics), but for the few minor flaws* it got rejected.

* 3 minor fills which are visible and a very tiny fill on the left hand side that isn't visible to the naked eye unless combing over very close. Also the stem is a little off center but once again, you would never know unless disecting each plane of view.

Just had my first bowl. Took me about 45 minutes. I would say it should last longer, and with time it will, but I was using GLPease Telegraph Hill in ribbon form and I packed pretty light and a little on the dry side. Smokes wonderfully, didn't get hot and the new coating Peterson uses is really wonderful. Cakes up really nice with the first bowl. Whatever concoction they used it sure is a great catalyst to breaking in a pipe. Looks like I already smoked 10 bowls through it.
Does anybody else have Irish Seconds (Petersons) that they care to share?

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I shop pipes quite a bit, just window shopping mostly, and I haven't seen Peterson seconds before; this is a really handsome pipe, and apparently at a good price. You'll enjoy that one, and more so because it was a good find.

Reactions: danimalia

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Looks nice. I wonder why it didn't make the grade?
My guess is the imperfect briar. The two fills you may be able to see in the picture were probably too big to be passed as a PubPipe quality. The other two fills, not seen in pictures are even smaller. Plus the stem is a bit off-center, however, it was a Grade 1 Irish Second, the lowest being a Grade 3. The grain alone sold me, I could care less about four minor fills. only 3 of which are visible up close.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
My guess is the imperfect briar. The two fills you may be able to see in the picture were probably too big to be passed as a PubPipe quality. The other two fills, not seen in pictures are even smaller. Plus the stem is a bit off-center, however, it was a Grade 1 Irish Second, the lowest being a Grade 3. The grain alone sold me, I could care less about four minor fills. only 3 of which are visible up close.
Yes, I can see the two fills they definitely aren't deal breakers at a good price. Glad to hear that she smokes good too and the grain is very pleasing.

Reactions: diamondback

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
That's a deluxe right? Well would have been that is. Very nice pipe.
This would have been a PubPipe. I'm not 100% sure on the rankings of system pipes, but as far as I know, the lowest being System Standard: No stinger and the briar may have some fills. The next would be Premier, which uses higher grade briar and usually no fills, still no stinger and the highest grade being the Deluxe with the best briar and comes with a stinger.

I also have a Deluxe 20s that shares all the same features as a regular priced PubPipe (Stinger, briar with no flaws), however, this one didn't make the cut due to the fills.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe this is some kind of inverse sour grapes, but I feel that if a pipe appeals to me otherwise, fills can add character, so long as they stay in place. I have several Iwan Ries house pipes by Benton, and their good finishes and ample bowls make the several well-crafted fills irrelevant.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
unless you overfill a new pipe and char the rim as shown in the picture above.. ;)

must not have got the "half bowl" memo...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just looked them up.. they're not even that cheap!?!?!? why?

why not dish out 20-30 more dollars and get a first quality pipe?

I figured they'd be like half price.

Status
Not open for further replies.