PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
With the end of plugs like Warrior, Mick McQuaid. Is there any plugs that are close that are sold here in the states?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
4f3e58e29a10a044c725e2b6d90bdd46.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Why do we not see more plug tobacco here? Seems like an easy enough process. Is it worth trying to put together a group purchase from Europe for Condor or Revor, etc.? Too many loopholes to jump through?

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
What about some of the Galwith plugs are they close? Like Dark Plug, Jackknife plug or the others.
@Aquadoc that was done in the past and was stopped due to problems caused by non payment.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
@Aquadoc.. It seems that the US lacks the equipment used to make a proper plug. There are a few discussions on this forum about that.
Jackknife Plug is a great smoke. IMHO, it's outstanding. I also have some tins of Triple Play aging. I haven't smoked any yet so I can't speak on it from experience. When the time comes and considering Pease's blending skills, I can't see Triple Play being a disappointment.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yachtsman plug is still available from what I understand. Revor is difficult to get unless you have a pal in England. 3P's is something I smoke often as well as Salty Dogs. I have a fair stash of Warrior, Velvan and Mick Mc Quaid but I need to make them last forever.

We tried for almost 3 years to make War Horse Bar as a whole leaf plug but just could not make it happen the way we wanted it to be. The equipment does not exist here to make a true plug.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Neither War Horse Bar (Red) nor War Horse Green are plugs; they are rather crumble cake. Plug requires more pressure and time in the press, and uses whole leaf tobacco, whereas crumble cake is cut. If you compare hard-pressed plugs like Condor or Salty Dogs, you wills see the difference. Though both of these Standard Tobacco releases say on the tin that they are plug, they are not. Pressure produces heat which causes plug to ferment more quickly than cut.
I traded email with Russ Ouellette and he said that plug attains its homogeneous taste by virtue of the fact that the sustained, fierce pressure bursts the cells such that this dispersal occurs.
It is my fond hope that the pending tobacco legislation is favorable such that War Horse can become a true plug.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
deniz, Salty Dogs is a mild tobacco with little rum taste-- just more of a very subtle sweetener. It's a nice tobacco so give it a try.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
'Proper' Irish plugs such as Condor and Erinmore are sadly only available in Ireland. Even for one living in the UK they are hideously expensive plus no trader in Ireland will post to the States.
Here we can get Revor, Warrior, Cob Plugs etc for the same price as 50g of pretty much any tobacco blend, alas I'm no great fan of any of those.
Dark Plug (unscented), Kendal Plug, St. James Plug and Full Virginia Plug on the other hand I do love and have a few chunks of each for storing.
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Jay, I beg to differ about sending orders to the USA. I've been buying from the James Fox store in Dublin for several years and their service is top notch. Often I get my order from them in 5 days. All of my Warrior, Velvan and Mick Mc Quaid plugs came from Fox. Sadly, the inventory has dwindled to almost nothing at this point.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think Warrior Plug, McQuaid Plug and 3P's are all the same exact Plug with each one having a slightly different topping but even the toppings are so similar it's just a no brainer to go with 3P's if you live in the States.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, I beg to differ about sending orders to the USA."
Pap, I wholeheartedly apologise for disseminating false information. I cannot recall where I picked up that snippet of misinformation but if I was then I was wrong.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.