PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've admired Mr Gleason's since God invented dirt.
I first saw him in the campy but fun "Lake Placid," 17 years ago and have enjoyed his presence tremendously ever since.
He chewed up every scene in "Cold Mountain" and "In Bruges," stole more than his fair share of screen time in the the Harry Potter series and went tit for tat against well established actors like Daniel Day Lewis, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Liam Neeson and Tom Cruise.
Gleeson's performance as the shady cop in "The Guard" is stunning and that movie just might be on the short list of the best films you've never seen.
I watched Gleeson last night as a Catholic priest in "Calvary," on HBO. He's rock solid in his faith but tested mightily by local parishioners going soft in their faith. (additional bonus: his son in real life, Domhnall Gleeson, plays a convicted murderer I could run over repeatedly and not feel the bump.)
He's so damned talented and I always get the impression that his varied roles are mere cufflinks.
Fnord

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Brendan Gleeson is one of my favorite actors. I first remember seeing him as Hamish in Braveheart, but he is so much more than that character. Thanks for bringing him up here.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm a big Gleeson fan, too. "Calvary" is some heavy stuff -- but a great movie.
"The Guard" is classic. (I also happen to live in the town west of Galway where much of it was filmed.)
By the way, if you liked "The Guard," you should see "The General" -- Gleeson plays a Dublin crime boss (based on a true story). "I Went Down" is another great one.
One of my all-time favorites, though, is a short film called "Cáca Milis" (Irish for "Cake" -- it's pronounced as if it were spelled "cawka milish"). It's in Irish, but there are sub-titles. Gleeson plays a blind man on a train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UleuAxTpmF4

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yeah, he is the man...on top of being a great actor he just has the kind of face that convinces you he has seen his share of real life, I get similiar impressions from Tommy Lee Jones, or Jeff Bridges

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The general for me, he was brilliant in that picture(true story btw) as was Jon voight.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Top notch as Churchill in the BBC(?) production "Into the Storm". He was following Albert Finney's brilliant effort in the first part, "The Gathering Storm". It took some chutzpah on Gleeson's part but he "done good".

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guys:
I had "The General" and "Into the Storm" queued on the DVR until one of my sons cleared out some films he thought I'd already watched. "Cáca Milis" might be difficult to obtain from my neighborhood Family Video but hopefully NetFlix will carry the day.
Too true, Mortonbriar. All three have the look of somebody who's been riding the river for more than a few years and I'd probably have to add Liam Neeson, one of my favorite Aussies, Jack Thompson, and the incomparable Ray Winstone to that group.
Fnord

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
fnord,
I didn't even think of it, but my wife and I watch most of our television on the laptap. I'd be surprised if Netlfix had it, but both parts of "Cáca Milis" are on youtube -- it's only about 15 minutes altogether.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jeez.
I thought I was already bummed out enough today after reading Ken Watanabe has been battling stomach cancer and then I watched - Gee, thanks, Pitchfork - "Cáca Milis" on Youtube.
Mother of God, that was 19 minutes of pure, unadulterated, Eugene O'Neil emotional torture served straight up without a chaser.
Rough stuff.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.