PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I've heard that Iwan Ries' Italian house brand pipes were manufactured by Savinelli. I recently picked up an estate IRC "Turino" pipe with a lucite stem which looks like a dead ringer for a Savinelli Oscar lucite. However, the shape number stamped on the pipe is 129, which doesn't correspond with Savinelli's Lovat shape (703). I also think the Savinelli Lovat is a little longer and leaner than this guy. Does this indicate the pipe was made by someone other than Savinelli, or is this Iwan Ries' internal shaping categorization?
A quick look at Iwan Ries' website shows a shape chart, but it doesn't include numbers. Any thoughts?
56a4dbf3-6a30-4e08-b6a1-80d0621a164a-600x450.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Savinelli made many IRC pipes over the years. It seems the most likely candidate to me. This Porto Cervo 129 may be similar, but with a taper stem and a different adornment. Impossible to tell, though, from the photos provided.
I'm sure it's a fine pipe. Enjoy it!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks, Craig. I saw that one too. The pipe I have is just barely a Lovat, by my reckoning. Could have easily been a slightly long-shanked billiard fitted with a short saddle stem to give an overall Lovat-esque look.
I've recently gotten interested in house-brand pipes. If you can pin down the manufacturer, they usually offer a pretty good value, and are all but guaranteed to be dependable, no-nonsense smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard about Iwan Ries house pipes by Savinelli, and I have one stamped Italy, bought from their house pipe page, but it is not even stamped Iwan Ries, much less any clues about Savinelli, and having been a longtime Sav owner, I don't see a distinct resemblance. For a long time, IR house pipes were made by Benton. Then there was a long indeterminate period when they had pipes from Italy of indeterminate origin, and and the last I knew, they have French pipes by Genod, which look good. But from my experience, the Savinelli connection looks sketchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.