PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
This may have been asked before. Nonetheless with the newer members (of whom I consider myself): what other interests do you have beyond the pipe world? Not counting time with family, just your hobbies.

Myself: music (no talent, just an ear), Pool (pocket billiards), music, reading, oh and music.

You?

ETA: profession/career aside.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Besides pipe smoking, a good amount of my hard-earned coin goes to harmonicas. Suzukis ain't cheap, but they're hands down the best.
As my handle implies, I'm heavy into the Blues.
I like to screw around on the guitar too, but that's all it is is screwing around.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hunting and Fishing, Flying, Home Brewing, Golf, Reading, Novice Woodworking, General Cabin Building and Wilderness Life (I guess they call it bushcraft these days?) Fine Whiskey, Football and Hockey (Watching, no longer playing), and probably more.

Also running a business and raising a child if you count that, hahaha.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Beside pipe related activities I enjoy growing plants, kayaking, music(I play guitar and bass), also enjoy weekend long camping(bonus if it's also a music festival) and I also home brew.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Reading. Film photography every now and then (heck, I still have two rolls in the fridge that need developing, but I'm afraid my chemicals have expired). I've been trying to learn the piano on my own: no great progress, but at least I can play my favourite game main theme by now.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I love ocean canoeing.

I've done it in quite a few places, but I spend most of my time on the water in the Pacific Northwest and Brazil, mid way around the states of Rio and Sao Paulo. Both locations have unique challenges, but I would say that the cold water of the Pacific makes it a little more interesting, from a technical point of view. Not much room for error there.

But, in Brazil, depending where you are, it can get pretty weird very fast. The coastline is not as favorable for landings and you need to have your chops to handle unpredictable distances in rough weather because of that. I've nearly been caught out a few times and wondered how it was all going to shake out with a pounding surf and huge rocks to look forward to if there was a swim involved.

I have a wooden kayak I built, which I still use, but there is something about a canoe in ocean conditions that appeals to me more. Movement of water just feels good in a small craft and a canoe is full of style, especially on an ocean.

Quite a few sail boats have come along side to have a double take and when I pull up to a beach with a load of kayakers on shore, it's always a conversation. With (and only with) kayakers, some love it and some hate it. Like you are causing them personal offense by being out there in your canoe. It's very interesting. I think the ones who hate it are just jealous... or it's because I'm smoking my pipe after a roaring paddle. Most are good about it though.

I had a background in whitewater sports a long time ago, and I transitioned into ocean canoeing with that setup. I'd not recommend going out in a canoe on the ocean without first giving yourself some time to learn challenging conditions near shore first. You can certainly get into trouble. But, once you start, you'll likely never stop. It's a very beautiful watercraft, and underappreciated, I think.

Hell, I could talk about canoeing, kayaking, white water, sailing, and anything to do with water a hundred times longer than I can about pipes.

If I'm landlocked and looking for some adventure, I'm usually scrambling up a mountain or through a jungle somewhere. Anything to get away from city life for a few days and get that good dose of company you find in nature. The health benefits are pretty good too, but that's pretty far down on the list of reasons why.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love the New York Mets, the Jacksonville Jaguars, riding my bicycle and Lego blocks.
I am a Washington State Alumni. Glad to see Minshew making a contribution this year for the jags. However fleeting and mediocre it may be. Hahaha. I still have my mustache from the Alamo Bowl win last year.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I have more hobbies and interests then theres time in the day....plus they cycle in and out of my life, renewed interest, waned interest. If I were to dev a list:
Pipe Smoking
Playing the Bass Guitar
Studying the Bible
Cocktails
HAM radio
Forestry work
Gardening
Raising livestock
My Son
Cooking
Reading
Art