PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I collect (and drink) Bourbon. Hunting for the hard to get ones is enjoyable.
I have a large collection of cigars.
I enjoy Golf and Pickleball
I read non fiction only mostly early American History and military works.
I enjoy time with my dogs.

Reactions: diamondback

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do so enjoy the hobby-not hobby debates!

I'm a smoker who doesn't find smoking particularly interesting, It's simply a wee vice I selected years ago. I have hundreds of interests in life. I drive a vehicle, always interesting. Being most likely "obsessive-compulsive" I can't keep anything at the "hobbyist" level. I read books, play musical instruments, photograph wildlife, mow the grass, move snow, enjoy my grandson, cook, eat when necessary, fish, research items of interest ... I could go on but, ... I see no point and do not understand why anyone would find my particular interests of interest.

To me, the very idea of burning up one's hard earned cash while engaging in a totally unwholesome and unhealthy, though enjoyable, activity is ... well, the antithesis of a "hobby." At least in my opinion. Although, I've heard of some who certainly consider some self-destructive behavior to be "hobby-like." Masochists and sadists come to mind.

I think smoking is considered to be a hobby only by those who can't/won't admit to being a smoker. I would exempt those who honestly do collect, those who seriously explore blends and the dabblers who smoke a bowl or two a month or every fifty years. The latter are simply dilettantes in my opinion.

Then there are those who will open a drawer, find some old used pipes and wonder what they were thinking when they tried smoking.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
My brothers and I got on fine. And when we didn't, they at least taught me how to take a punch.

Their hobbies never transferred over to me, for the most part. We each found our way into unique things, which I thought was pretty cool. I got to see what they were up to and learned some from it.

I think you can get a similar experience with really good friends though, for all of the only children out there.

Of course, there's some really f'ed up family dynamics out there, so maybe I got lucky.

Reactions: diamondback

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Like many during this pandemic, after a decade of not riding a bike, I started again. I still had my 20 year old Specialized Rockhopper and put a taller stem on it for a bit more comfort (it had already been converted to fat hybrid tire, for occasional beach/vacation use). I picked up a Fuji Hybrid for my wife and envied the suspension. We right a lot on the nearby C&O Canal (1.5 miles from the house).
Finding a new bike, under $1,000 is impossible in this area, which I learned after scouring 20+ shops in my MD/PA/VA travels. After looking at 50 used bikes that were all pretty beat (with $300 plus price tags), I found a Diamondback Hybrid in near new condition. But it was slightly too large for me, but usable. I started riding it solo on the road as much as the canal. As my bike-enthusiast brother told me when I was searching for a Hybrid, he said that I'd grow weary of the cheap suspension bounce. He was right.

I started looking for a gravel-style bike that could do both. Yesterday, I lucked into a great deal on this Raleigh Redux 3. The single front chain ring threw me at first, but the 10 speed rear range is incredible. I may hang onto the Diamond back for casual rides with the wife, but I'm looking forward to having some fun on this Raleigh. (and continuing to lose weight!).

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
When I’m not making knives or working at my “real” job, I like:

Hunting
Fishing
Shooting
Handloading
Traditional Archery
Billiards (8-ball and 9-ball)
Watching motorsports (F1, Indycar)
I used to draw a lot (portraits and what not) but don’t really anymore.

I collect and paint warhammer 40k models. More specifically Emperors children for the Horus heresy.
I had to look that up, and I’m still not exactly sure what it is. ? is it a game or book or something?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One of my interests I posted about as recently as April. Sadly I don't get to do it anymore but I do occasionally pull out a drawer of micromounts to enjoy under the microscope.

Here is hopefully a link to the original thread for those who might have missed it.....

Regards,

Jay.?

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Hard to distinguish hobbies from pastimes, but here goes :
Designing/building furniture and architectural stained glass,
reading, mostly non-fiction mostly history,
listen to lots of music : e.g. Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Al Green, Monk, Tom Waits, Mingus, Gil Evans, Maria Schneider Orch., Paula Morelenbaum, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bobby Hutcherson, Joe Henderson, Zoot Sims, Duke E, Mark Knopfler, John Scofield, Wes, Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Bill Frisell, Donald Fagen, Mose Allison, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver, Cream, Abbey Lincoln, Lorraine Feather, Regina Spektor, Sun Ra, Jaco Pastorius, Joe Zawinul, well anyway you get the idea, listen to a lot of music, out of the mainstream, you might say.

View attachment 10973
View attachment 10974
View attachment 10975

Whoa...gorgeous work!

Status
Not open for further replies.