PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I classify pipe smoking as a "hobby" or "interest" because I generally group my waking hours into only two parts:
Work/Job: something I need to expend time and energy on to either provide money or save me from paying someone else.
Hobby/Interest: something I don't need to expend time and energy on (but do) that almost always costs me money!
Pipes & tobacco are the latter for me...:)

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Of course it's a hobby, at least for me. It isn't my profession. I enjoy researching pipe history and putting together the story, one dip in the river at a time. And I enjoy doing home blending from time to time, as well as cleaning up some old pipe and putting it back to service, or trying out a new blend, or experimenting with how to get the best flavors out of a blend. Smoking is only part of it.

Agreed.

____

My intention when making the thread was just to ask a friendly question. Had no intention to bring out pedants and/or semantics police.

Purpose was genuinely to encourage light discussion and friendly exchange :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Tobacco smoking can be either: something you just do or a hobby. Buying some pipes, cigars, blends, and the required accoutrements—it's just an activity; starting to collect, to delve into pipe history, shapes classifications and lore, restoring estates, buying pipes for the pleasure of it more than for the smoke, subscribing to Cigar Aficionado, buying all kinds of tobacco-related paraphernalia, &c.—well, then you've yourself a hobby.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Tobacco smoking can be either: something you just do or a hobby. Buying some pipes, cigars, blends, and the required accoutrements—it's just an activity; starting to collect, to delve into pipe history, shapes classifications and lore, restoring estates, buying pipes for the pleasure of it more than for the smoke, subscribing to Cigar Aficionado, buying all kinds of tobacco-related paraphernalia, &c.—well, then you've yourself a hobby.

Thanks, Olkofri! This is pretty much all I was asking.

From this to “Oh, I race Indy cars in my spare time.”

Anything goes, really. Especially welcome are the folks who don’t take themselves too seriously, but come what may, right? There’s always a few - lol!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thank you supperthyme.

Re discussion of kids growing up too fast: man do I ever feel that. Wife and I were married a couple or so years before we had kids, then bam — One, two, three!

Everyone told me they’d grow up before I turned around, and I believe only a very silly person ignores heartfelt advice (even if it’s not taken I always think it through a good deal) so I really tried to take it. But I digress, in fact they did. I’m still stunned.

Two well into college and our youngest is a HS Senior. I was 28 when my first was born. Always busy with getting a software release out the door, traveling on business... I look back and am really upset by it. I was only trying to give them a nice environment, but the things I missed. If I could go back and do it over again... we’ll, it is what it is.

Soak in every minute man!

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Re discussion of kids growing up too fast: man do I ever feel that. Wife and I were married a couple or so years before we had kids, then bam — One, two, three!

Everyone told me they’d grow up before I turned around, and I believe only a very silly person ignores heartfelt advice (even if it’s not taken I always think it through a good deal) so I really tried to take it. But I digress, in fact they did. I’m still stunned.

Two well into college and our youngest is a HS Senior. I was 28 when my first was born. Always busy with getting a software release out the door, traveling on business... I look back and am really upset by it. I was only trying to give them a nice environment, but the things I missed. If I could go back and do it over again... we’ll, it is what it is.

Soak in every minute man!
Sounds like your a great dad and did your best for kids. It certainly doesn't come with an instruction manual, so our best is all we can do. I feel you on the work/family balance. I'm a printing press operator so I work alot of overtime. Luckily I start at 5am so I'm still home by 4 to get the boys off the bus and I'm there all day, I just lack in the sleep department. It's a hard job but it's fulfilling and it pays. Call me crazy but there's just something about being a rust belt factory worker that makes me proud. Proud to be an American.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Drinking scotch is not a hobby, so why would smoking tobacco be a hobby?

For the guys who might smoke a couple codger blends and might pick up a bottle of Johnnie Walker at the liquor store after work on Friday, pipes and scotch are not a hobby. For people like us, it's fair to call it a "hobby."

I also dislike the "hobby" moniker and think it's kind of goofy, but the truth is, for both scotch and tobacco, if you spend time on internet forums dedicated to them, continuously research them, and expend substantial time and money exploring the many different variations of these products, then it probably qualifies as a hobby.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Before my freak heart attack 4 years ago, I did a lot of stuff outdoors; hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, camping, coaching Little League and being a Scoutmaster. Nowadays I just tinker with restoring old Triumph motorcycles in the garage, reading, listening to my ridiculously large collection of vinyl jazz records, making brass scale locomotives, keeping up with my primitive archery, and watching over my five kids.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
For people like us, it's fair to call it a "hobby."

I also dislike the "hobby" moniker and think it's kind of goofy, but the truth is, for both scotch and tobacco, if you spend time on internet forums dedicated to them, continuously research them, and expend substantial time and money exploring the many different variations of these products, then it probably qualifies as a hobby.

Slam dunk!

The defendant rests. (Or something lawyerly like that - lol).

Reactions: lawdawg

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Besides running my own business, my other interest include:

Brazilian jujitsu (BJJ) (a.k.a. the art of folding clothes with people still in them).

Surfing: I try to get out for a surf at least two mornings a week, (conditions permitting).

Gaming: I enjoy action/adventure games with a good storyline, e.g. I have played most of the Assassins Creed series of games.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For the guys who might smoke a couple codger blends and might pick up a bottle of Johnnie Walker at the liquor store after work on Friday, pipes and scotch are not a hobby. For people like us, it's fair to call it a "hobby."

Well said.

The fact that there is so much forum debate over whether or not it's a hobby indicates it is a hobby.

No one spends time debating that question over something that is truly not a hobby.

But then it's a weird world. Maybe there's a cheap scotch and cigarette forum out there right now where they're debating whether or not it's a hobby.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Before my freak heart attack 4 years ago, I did a lot of stuff outdoors; hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, camping, coaching Little League and being a Scoutmaster. Nowadays I just tinker with restoring old Triumph motorcycles in the garage, reading, listening to my ridiculously large collection of vinyl jazz records, making brass scale locomotives, keeping up with my primitive archery, and watching over my five kids.
All in (and relating) on your Triumphs (have 2 “newer” versions), outdoor stuff, archery, and kids stuff! ? 5 is a big number...I’m one of five...?

Reactions: crawdad

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Hard to distinguish hobbies from pastimes, but here goes :
Designing/building furniture and architectural stained glass,
reading, mostly non-fiction mostly history,
listen to lots of music : e.g. Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Al Green, Monk, Tom Waits, Mingus, Gil Evans, Maria Schneider Orch., Paula Morelenbaum, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bobby Hutcherson, Joe Henderson, Zoot Sims, Duke E, Mark Knopfler, John Scofield, Wes, Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Bill Frisell, Donald Fagen, Mose Allison, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver, Cream, Abbey Lincoln, Lorraine Feather, Regina Spektor, Sun Ra, Jaco Pastorius, Joe Zawinul, well anyway you get the idea, listen to a lot of music, out of the mainstream, you might say.

Status
Not open for further replies.