PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Today I received my latest PAD order from Italy. It's a Castello 215 (Fancy Bent Billiard). I took a chance on this one, because there were only two, so-so, pictures on the site. I had to call Mike at Briar Blues because I had some questions about the stamping. First, there was no grade stamp (Trademark, Castello, Collection) just four large K's with no oval. KKKK. Second, the stamping at the very top says "Hand Made". Never saw this on a Castello. I know Castello stamping can be odd at times, but I wanted to know what I had. The straight grain is very nice, but not "Collection KKKK" nice, so I figured it should be a "Castello" KKKK. Mike agreed. he said Carlo Scotti was very picky in the early days and would grade a pipe lower than today's grading. Mike said the four large K's place the pipe pre 1969, which I knew, but also stated that the "Hand Made", which he WAS familiar with, definitely placed the pipe in the 1960's. there is just a very little rim darkening which I'm sure I can get rid of, otherwise, no issues. This pipe is in fantastic shape! a little micro-fiber on the rim, and a good polishing should return this beauty to "like new" condition. It's the largest Castello I own, bigger than my kkkk Le Catene shape 65 Bent Billiard. I guess "G" or even "GG". I love pipes that were made before I was!

r8FDBNT.jpg

oiWeT6R.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very cool pipe, every Castello I own has been a marvelous smoking machine. Also, Mike is indeed a treasure, full of knowledge and very happy to help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.