PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/aromatically-subjective-study-leaf-process-with-cds-appalachian-trail-series

If you can taste the flavors of the casing, then you're doing it wrong, IMO. I was reading the labels myself last night, and I just didn't understand how they could say that it is topped with a flavor that you can identify and still call it a Virginia. Yes, yes, I understand that apple juice, licorice, and all sorts of flavorings are added to some of what we call straight tobaccos. As natural tobacco has somewhat some of these flavors in the mix naturally, especially licorice or anise, as it is an obvious taste that I get from tobacco (not the cloying vomit licorice taste used in that nasty candy). Cigarette tobacco has a conglomeration of flavorings added, including cherry to some brands. But, if you can smoke something or smell the tin and identify the flavors, you messed up. Or, else just call it an aromatic.
I can smell and taste apricots in MacBarens Modern Virginia, and clearly to me it is an aromatic. Black Jack has a slight apple-y aftertaste on my teeth that lets me know that it was probably cased in apple, but you cannot pick it out in the tin smell or the smoke.
And, there are some tobaccos that have avoided adding any casings to a few of their Virginias, D&R comes to mind.
I know, I know, there is an industry standard in that a casing is said to be applied early on in the process, and a topping is sprayed on, but if the flavor is prevalent enough that you can tell me what fruits and liquors I am going to smell over the tobacco flavoring, that just doesn't sound like it is going to be a smoke for me. Maybe a nice crossover blend for Lane aromatic smokers?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I stopped reading at the part "It's just lightly cased with flavor, like pretty much all tobaccos grown and processed for blending."
As I understand it, tobacco's are cased, besides for flavor, but to adjust the PH balance of the leaf. Think a straight Burley that bites vs one that doesn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong please.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Leacha: for the most part, you are correct. The exception is many Danish blends. They are often topped, but not cased.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It's all how it comes through in the smoke. Most non-aros have flavors added at some point during the process. These flavors are very subtle and only serve to enhance the natural flavors of the tobacco. Think Irish Flake or Irish Oak, neither can be considered an aro or even a crossover, yet both are somewhat flavored. Conversely, you have University Flake, though not listed as an aro, has a strong enough flavor of the casing to reach at least crossover levels. I agree with Cosmic in that if you can taste the casing you have created an aromatic blend, not that there's anything wrong with that. As for the new line of blends subject of this thread: l for one am looking forward to giving them a try. :puffy:

In rethinking my post, I should add that I enjoy some aromatics. The only time ai have gotten put off by one, is when I expect something else, like with Modern Virginia. If I had known on my first try of it, I would have enjoyed it better knowing that it was an aro. At least C&D is up front and putting it out there. I may have to try it, keeping it in mind not to expect a Virginia experience... for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.