PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The past few years I've been asked with increasing frequency by high-grade collectors if I have an apprentice, or plan to have one, before I'm too old to work on pipes anymore.
The 21st century being what it is, though, such a situation has never come together.
What the 21st century HAS enabled is arguably better in that someone in my position can potentially reach several people eager to learn about the subject instead of just one or two by using video.
So, the proper gear was gathered, time was made (since the projects are real, not staged, my daily throughput wasn't affected all that much), and the videos recorded.
Like the guilds of old, the people who make and work on pipes tend to hold on tightly to hard-won "secrets", so none of the videos on the Net (that I've ever seen, anyway) show much in the way of detail, special tools, tips, tricks, and so forth. Soon that will no longer be true. In this case NOTHING was skipped over or hidden from the camera. Every step is shown. In fact, the more unlikely/surprising or "tricky" the technique, the more thoroughly it is explained.
The pictures below are of the pipe that was the subject of this first project. It arrived with a "blown" (trumpet-shaped) shank and mortise, a hammered rim, no stem at all, and was so dirty the sandblast was filled about halfway to smooth with grime.
The chamber was is good shape, though, no wood was missing anywhere, and it was patent example of a somewhat scarce and desirable shape, so it was definitely recoverable and worth working on.
I'm announcing this project in advance (the segments are all "in the can" and being edited as we speak) to get the word out as much as possible before Chicago. The finished set of videos should be up and running in a few days.
P1030080.jpg

P1030083.jpg

P1030084.jpg

P1030087.jpg

P1030089.jpg

P1030097.jpg

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This is upsetting.... I was sooo wanting to be your apprentice.
Nah, This is great, but I still want to be your apprentice

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for doing this, George. I have a feeling that this will inspire many people and save many an old pipe for years to come.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Where will you be posting the videos?
YouTube is the plan.
They have an indexing method that allows a "bookshelf style" collection of related volumes. You can click the first one and cruise through them all with a single start (if desired), manually click each one in sequence, or pick and choose however you like.
I figured it's the best way to accommodate people with different skill and experience levels going in, as well as make a given process step easy to find afterward if a second look is desired.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
To me, that pipe is now better than when new. I'm sure it's at least as good, with a little 'wear character' inside the rim.

I'll look for the new series.

This will be eye opening, I'm sure.

Thank you for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.