PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
What a great gift and laudable endeavor, i.e. to share your knowledge and experiences with others, and a new generation of "pipe-doctors". Tricks-of-the-trade, and those specialized "secret" skills, gained over many years, if not passed on, are lost, and sometimes, sadly, never found again.
I am looking forward to your tutorials.
Thanks,

Frank

NYC

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2921kr.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Well, the content has been edited and is ready to go. 23 contiguous videos totaling several hours. [whew!]
Getting an account/channel set up with YouTube is like long-form income taxes, though. (The problem? The people who designed the interface---wrote the procedure---are kids whose first-ever toy was a tablet computer, as was everybody's they work with and everyone they know, so they assume all manner of shit without even realizing it. The solution? Have things like sign-up procedures described by someone who grew up in the real world and learned digital shit after the fact. Techies and code writers are the LAST people you want writing application usage instructions.)
But I might as well complain about the sky being blue...
So... will the videos get uploaded at all, never mind before Chicago? Good question. I have only so much patience with that particular flavor of corporate numbness. :evil: :evil: :evil:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK. I managed to survive last night's first encounter with the unexpected importance of YouTube decision-making---what irked me being that the IMPLICATIONS of menu choices aren't explained anywhere---went to bed, and am now back at it in a better frame of mind.
With any luck today will be the day. No idea how fast stuff processes on their end, but the data transfer rate couldn't be much higher on mine (KC has Goggle Fibber... it's a billion terraflops per microsecond, or something).
More when I know it myself.
Jesse & Jvn, I like the way you think. :rofl:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since this thread should have a conclusion for someone who might encounter it months from now when it's just floating in the archives:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9u2tpfN9YHX8_twWicJIfB&disable_polymer=true

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'll enjoy working my way through these. Thanks, George I'm sure these will be fascinating.

owen

May 28, 2014
George

I have already made a couple of replacement stems inspired by your posts over the last year or so. Your new set of videos is going to be a great help.

Owen

Jun 27, 2016
Great videos so far! I'm not through all of them yet. Was hoping that you would have shown some of the file-work on that area of the stem with the radius, unless I missed it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Was hoping that you would have shown some of the file-work on that area of the stem with the radius, unless I missed it.
I just checked. Looks like what survived the edit process was the set-up TO that point, naming the file types to use (round + pippin), and a few demo-strokes to show how to use them, but the actual filing itself isn't shown.
The toughest part of this video thing, I discovered, was trying to balance basic and advanced info so that there was something for all experience levels. (Meaning an old shop hand would instantly know what a pippin file's purpose was from just seeing its shape, and wouldn't want/need to watch it being used; while someone new to a shop would appreciate a full video devoted to file types and usage techniques.)
Some compromises in pursuit of that end came out better than others. Sorry.
The first link is queued to start where the "taping around the slope" happens, and the second one shows how to sand the slope after the step is gone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6-6Nmj06k&t=8m29s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovy1hPDCmyY

Status
Not open for further replies.