PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I’m not an expert in this subject at all, but just as far as managing a project goes, I’d say maybe just go into it with the intention of selling 20 pipes every year. Making “Newb” mistakes en-masse is often the greatest source of regret when venturing into new subjects.
Take your time and as long as the pipes are kept clean and dry the value isn’t going to go away.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Great advice already from cosmic and sable...not much to add.
Sorry for your loss.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I know I can see some Danish pipes in the picture. If you find any Larsen, or W.O. Larsen pipes in there send me a PM.

:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry for your loss.

In the meantime, here's an expanded version of your image.

You may wish to sort by maker and present a photo or two with no more than, say, a half dozen specimens.

Best of luck!

20190915_143341-jpg.2441

• Wow
Reactions: madox07 and dmcmtk

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Sorry for your loss.

First of all, I would at least try smoking a pipe or two for some time and see whether the love for pipe smoking is ingrained in your DNA or not. It would be very sad to start enjoying this hobby and be heartbroken that you got rid of your dad's collection.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I'll echo what others have said. Even if I wasn't a pipe smoker, I'd likely want to keep about 10 percent of the collection myself. If I didnt smoke I would get a nice frame or shadow box made for them or a nice pipe rack made to display them. I think the great thing about pipes are even if you arent a pipe smoker, they are great items to look at and admire. And who knows, maybe one day you will wanna pick up the pipe and you will kick yourself for atleast not keeping a few. Special collections like that dont come around every day

Reactions: AlabamaDan

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You really can't get better advice than this. Especially Sable's "Do nothing in haste"; the estate pipe market is not going to bottom out or disappear anytime soon.

You also might want to look around for any accessories and/or unopened tins of tobacco. Even everyday available tins can still be sold.

Please do post about your experience when all is said and done. I'm very curious and you might post something that I could give to my daughter as advice for when I'm gone.

And don't worry, anyone who acquires pipes through this site, any of the sellers listed here, or even just from ebay are most likely "the proper people who will appreciate them". I, personally, appreciate any provenance about an estate pipe I acquire.
Yeah, I was going to mention tobacco, but was in a rush to get to the studio. There is a growing market for vintage tobaccos, some of which bring in surprisingly high prices, so the OP would be well advised to assess that as well.
A friend of mine is helping the widow of a well known collector sell off his collection. Before she spoke with my friend she dumped the tins down the trash chute. By his calculation, she dumped about $20,000 worth of very prime blends, Garfinkle, Sullivan & Powell, Sobranie, Dunhill (actual Dunhill) etc.
The boggle minds...

Status
Not open for further replies.