In Your Personal Opinion, is Inhaling Wrong or Acceptable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
There's a thread about inhaling, but I'd like to know the reasons of each one.
I do inhale (only until my throat gets hot) because it's a habit I acquired as an ex-cigarette smoker and it feels more intense to me than just puffing. So I see no reason not to inhale.
What about you? Do you consider it wrong or OK, and why?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It can have harmful effects. For starters, the lungs and bronchi weren't designed to be constantly dealing with smoke and its components (whether they be carcinogens or not). The human body has tolerances that allow for contingencies, such as inhaling smokey air when there are forest fires, but contingency is a far cry from habitual.
Smoke tends to kill the cilia coating the inner airways, which are responsible for pushing impurities and foreign matter out of the airways. Yet another reason not to inhale it.
Also, pipe tobacco has more nicotine than cigarette's, and it can be harsher as well. Whilst cigarette smokers might have built a strong resistance to nicotine, the harshness remains. So, better not to draw it into your lungs.
The ghost of cancer remains, but I won't go there.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
With a pipe, I consider it a bit silly. I am a reformed cigarette and cigar smoker. I did inhale a quite a bit of the cigars i smoked. With a pipe, I haven't seen any advantage and find it more enjoyable to pull the smoke through my nose via snork or whatever they call it.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
When I think it's too intense, I stop inhaling for a while and just puff.
The interleaving is good for me.
I like the throat burning feeling, not the full lung feeling actually.
When I used to smoke cigarettes, I inhaled "into the throat" a lot so I use to do the same thing.

If you are in process of quitting cigarettes, it is normal to crave that lung hit feeling. I had quit cigarettes on and off for quite a while when I converted to pipes. And, yes, I would slip up and get a lung hit while smoking my pipe early on. But, as a practice, IMO, it takes away a lot of the pleasure of getting the nicotine through the small blood vessels of your mouth and sinuses. It takes away a lot of the flavors, and can hurt you physically in many ways in the long run. But, I am not about to get all preachy. I just don't inhale now. Sure, I may be passively breathing my own smoke in the room, but I am not actively trying to inhale. But, do what you must...
A lot of our members never had a cigarette addiction. They may smoke their pipe a few times a week, so it is hard for everyone on this forum to understand each other's way of doing things.
All I will say is that if you are doing this as a way to ween off of the cigs, then, yeh, that will work for a short time. Maybe just try to find enjoyment of savoring the tobacco. But, if you are inhaling just because that's your thing, then, have at it. But, keep in mind that it is not a common practice, nor is it orthodox. But, not everyone cares about that stuff, ha ha.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am used to cigarettes. Pipe tobacco, even mild blends, is a lot harder on the throat and lungs than cigarettes when inhaled. I simply can't do it. And I find it very unpleasant when I do it accidentally. For the record I do smoke a few cigarettes now and then, so I'm no stranger to inhaling smoke. Do I consider it wrong? Well, no. I just find it unpleasant.

Reactions: Chocolatebars

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
I personally don't purposefully inhale when smoking a pipe. It's certainly not my place to tell anyone else it's wrong though!
I came back to the pipe for pleasure and relaxation, Swedish snus is my nicotine delivery method of choice :)
Dave

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I have yet to inhale anything I have ever smoked , would much rather puff and enjoy
I know cigarette smokers seem to inhale , but I never understood it .
Cigars are probably a mixed lot , pipes I think is about puffing .

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wrong to inhale pipe smoke “on purpose”. We all do it passively to some degree by the nature of the act itself. But avoid intentional inhaling please, your lungs will thank you.

Sep 18, 2015
I don’t consider it right or wrong, it’s a choice. I smoked cigs for 30 years before giving em up 10 years ago. I don’t inhale my pipe or cigar smoke intentionally, I feel that I get much better flavors by not so when someone newer than me asks if they should, I recommend they don’t.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
As a historical aside, it is very clear that the original European pipe smokers (and their American antecedents) inhaled the smoke from their pipes. What I have never seen elucidated is when the bulk of pipe and cigar smokers switched to puffing. I'm a puffer myself, and have never intentionally inhaled tobacco into my lungs in any form. But all should be free to do what they want.

Reactions: Chocolatebars

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
As a former cigarette smoker, it’s definitely wrong for me. As much as I loved them, I didn’t like the idea of an early death so I quit almost exactly 20 years and 6 months ago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't think it's wrong, just a very bad idea. I dn't even smoke indoors, since that increases the amount one is inhaling, besides the stale tobacco smell. In the end, they're your lungs. Do what you want with them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked in the bathroom with the door closed for the final 18 months, to protect my cat's respiration. She was wheezing. I'm sure second-hand smoke hurried my quitting. I never thought about the effect of second-hand smoke on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.