In Your Personal Opinion, is Inhaling Wrong or Acceptable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Sablebrush52
I dn't even smoke indoors, since that increases the amount one is inhaling, besides the stale tobacco smell.
But, but, but... ...what about the delicious room note? :)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That's not something really anyone but you can decide. It's not like stealing. We all know stealing is wrong and not personal opinion, but everything except certain facts are completely up to the smoker. The only sure fired right and wrong are that it's right to smoke pipe tobacco in a device meant for pipe tobacco, you must light it and set it on fire some how to smoke it, and then you must pull on the pipe tobacco smoking device to keep it going. That's about it for what's "right".
What you smoke it in, how you light it, what you light it with, what tobacco you choose, how much to dry it, how tightly or loosely to pack it, how much puffing you need to do, how long it smokes for, when and how hard to tamp it, whether or not to inhale are all choices left up to the individual.
Personally, it's wrong for me. I've inhaled it on accident a few times and it wasn't very pleasant. I mean, when you're smoking something strong like Black Frigate and the minute you breathe in after expelling a big puff of smoke, the wind blows it back in your face, it's a completely unexpected thing. Maybe because it was unexpected and not intentional, it was rougher, but I did not enjoy it. I want to enjoy my pipe smoking, not grimace at the very thought.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I wouldn't habitually or frequently inhale pipe tobacco. I was a cigarette smoker and I tend to inhale a little. I wouldn't do a direct lung hit. Certain blends are really rough on the lungs and have even made me sick. I think if you're smoking a non-aro burley or Va/Burley blend that it's more like a cigarette. It will feel like inhaling 2, 3 or 4 cigarettes at once instead of one. So, proceed with caution. It doesn't enhance pipe smoking IMO, but I enjoy doing a slow, shallow inhale 1-3 times with my AM or PM coffee.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Its your tobacco, you can do whatever you want with it.^^

But with pipes I would presume that inhaling migth overheat the bowl more easily as you take deeper breaths and the tobacco in general is more acidic then normal cigarett tobacco so it is rather rough on the lungs.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Inhaling pipe tobacco is not something I chose to do because it has even greater health risks. Then again, I sometimes choose to have an alcohol drink while smoking a pipe. Drinking alcohol apparently increases the health risk of smoking exponentially (not just linearly).
In summary: whatever floats your boat, tickles your fancy, and butters your biscuit.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Whoa , imagine how damaging second hand smoke could be in a pub
Let alone for the patrons , it is a workplace issue

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
As far as bad or acceptable - I say it's up to the individual. Like Bill Clinton, I smoke but don't inhale. Unlike Bill Clinton, I'm faithful to my wife. :)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have several years of cigarettes in my past but I do not inhale from the pipe. I understand the desire for the throat feeling. Pipes actually hurt my throat, though. I am sure I wouldn't inhale even if they didn't, though. Nicotine and throat-hit are not things I use the pipe for personally. It's more of a ritual of enjoyment that includes admiring the actual pipe, admiring the tobacco, enjoying the smell, and the feeling of satisfaction when the bowl is finished. I find it interesting that one of my favorite carvers, Hans Former Nielsen, appears to inhale quite a bit based on what I've seen in an interview video.
I think it is as is always said here, that however you enjoy it, is the right way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Freedom of choice, I'm sure. Most don't enjoy drawing pipe smoke into their lungs, and that is a magnifier of health hazard with cigarettes, I believe. A number here enjoy retro-haling, moving the smoke through their nasal passages. I can taste my food quite well without conducting it through my nasal passages, so I don't, but some devoted pipe smokers consider it standard. Make your own assessment and proceed accordingly.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But, but, but... ...what about the delicious room note? :)
Ha! But, yeah, smoking indoors certainly makes the whole business a whole lot easier. One doesn't really need much technique, understanding of the best ways to prep, and pack since smoking indoors one is siting in a cloud of smoke, inhaling and smelling it. The room note will pretty well make up for one's technical deficiencies, except for those practices that physically destroy one's pipe, like using a torch to light it.
To get a good smoke outdoors, one really needs to know proper tobacco moisture levels since that's the biggest factor in getting all the flavors a blend has to offer outdoors. Then one really needs to understand packing and cadence in a continually altering environment. There's no room note (big cloud of smoke) to make up for mediocre technique.

Mar 29, 2016
Inhaling pipe smoke or cigars means taking more risks in an already risky hobby for me, my goal is to enjoy smoking while remaining away from health issues.

Jan 8, 2013
I was a pretty heavy cigarette smoker, and was still smoking cigarettes when I began smoking a pipe. I began by not inhaling pipe smoke as it just didn't seem natural to do so. It's certainly unnecessary, as the nicotine in pipe smoke is absorbed by the membranes or whatchamacallits in the mouth. Of course, I don't believe there is any true right or wrong in how you do it, as it's your pipe, your tobacco, do as you please. I also think, that if I DID see another pipe smoker inhaling away on their smoke, I'd probably think, "what a noob!" :mrgreen:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It's not wise but I'll be the last person to stop you.
So I see no reason not to inhale.
Increased risk of lung cancer is the big one.
I think the fact that almost nobody inhales pipe smoke on purpose is another big reason. It can be done but it is not really the best experience if smoked in that way. Slowly savouring the smoke through your mouth and nasal passages will be the route most people take. I don't think your supercharged methods have much staying power - you would probably reconsider it in the long run if you consistently inhaled Irish Flake for a week. Captain Black is like steam in comparison to some stronger blends out there...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My simplistic response is that cigarettes is all about the nicotine hit, whereas pipes and cigars are all about flavour.
(Of course, you do take in some nicotine with pipes and cigars, but the buzz is not the main reason some of us smoke them).

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Someone else already stated it I believe but pipe tobacco was not meant to be inhaled from what my research has gathered. It's a lot different from cigarettes. I've luckily never inhaled off my pipe so I can't tell you my experience with that but I did once off a cigar by accident and thought my lungs were going to revolt against me. I just like the tastes of pipe tobacco and the whole process of smoking a pipe. Its relaxing. So I wouldn't go so far as to say inhaling is wrong, I just don't think there's any benefit to it. Plus the health aspects that have already been covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.