PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy23

Lurker
Dec 30, 2015
I currently have 3 Churchwardens, 3 free hands, a poker and a bulldog. I'm thinking I'd like a case that supports two Churchwardens by itself and a case that will support two freehands. Just looking for some good brands out there people go with. What are you guys using for transport?
(Edited title, please see rule number 9.

Thank you, Robert.)

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have used all manner of cases. Leather toiletries bag, small leather toiletries bag, and even sprung for a "man purse" designed for carrying pipes.
I am still not satisfied with any of them completely. The small toiletries bag is my favorite, but most of my pipes being longer shanks (7.25 in. or so), it's not always easy in an out.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
What do you want the case for? Storage? Travel? I would think at home you'd keep them in a rack. Personally I would never travel with a churchwarden because anything other than a hard case wouldn't protect it from getting snapped in half. But a small attache case outfitted with some pick-and-pluck foam from a hobby store would work well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Traveling with a Churchwarden,I'd have to break it down for sure. A Pelican hard-shell case with foam inserts seems to be a good way to go, without breaking the bank. Pistol cases are also pretty sturdy, easy to customize the padding and can be had inexpensively. Last week, I was at Cabellas looking at fabric foam block pistol cases, they were around $20.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My favorite is a zippered pouch from Home Depot. Its sold as some kind of document bag, very affordable.
And pretty covert if that matters, I normally have two pipes in it, a pouch of whatever I am smoking at the time

and my a "Jeep" lighter.
It resides most often beside the bucket seat of my Wrangler.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This works for me...

PMPipePouch.jpg

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
That's a sharp case, Tar. I have looked at those myself, in a two pipe bag. Problem is, most of them can't handle pipes over 6 in.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I am going on vacation I bring my Sheffield 7 pipe brief case. I can also put my laptop and loads of tobacco in it.

For day trips I use my Martin Wess 4 pipe holder.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
I use this Big Ben 5 pipe pouch when I'm on the road. Wasn't expensive at all and gets the job done quiet nicely.
Cheers,
J
IMG_20151105_181958946_zpsgg9jouzq.jpg

IMG_20151105_181919720_zps9foagyhc.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
At the upper end of the spectrum, you have Claudio Albieri cases.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=135051
SmokingPipes also make some big cases, but they are also not inexpensive.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
You might like the "Pipe-A-Dor" cases this guy makes: http://pipetrunks.etsy.com
Holy pipe cases Batman. Now that's traveling in some serious style there. Prices are not bad either.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Albeiri cases are big and beautiful, but the prices are just big. For $900 you can tote 8 pipes or 8 pairs of spectacles (or any combo totaling 8 ) in style and safety.
I put my best pipes in leather pouches, and others may travel in cotton sleeves, or completely naked, though inside a bag or suitcase.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, when I read these questions, I'm always tempted to ask "what is your budget" and then reply in kind. Options do run the gamut.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I know some of you guys were barely into your 50's back in the golden age of pipe smoking...so where did the pipemen of yesteryear carry pipes while on the go? I can't imagine anyone walking around with a pipe purse (yes, that's a damn purse Harris!). I thought pipes were the reason sport coats have three pockets, bill fold, 'kerchief, pipe....no?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I thought pipes were the reason sport coats have three pockets, bill fold, 'kerchief, pipe....no?
Yeah, problem is, most people don't even wear sport coats anymore.
I bought a "pipe purse". I have used it 3 times. I can't bring myself to carrying a bag to tote around more shit than a woman has in her purse. It is amazing how much shit we need to carry just to smoke a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.