PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do savor my Nightcap, the occasional order of Big'n'Burley, and the now-and-then Tambolaka or black (no brown yet) rope, and so on, for the big full strength bowl. But as time has gone by, I have come around to medium blends, and eventually mild blends, that hit the spot when you want a good quiet bowl of honest flavor but don't want to belly up to the huge flavor or major nicotine. A few of the mild blends I enjoy are Spilman Mixture, English Luxury, and SWRA, among a number. What are your favorite mild blends or single leaves? If any?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
For whatever reason my nicotine tolerance is poor, and no sign of improvement, so I am more or less "stuck" on milder stuff mostly.
Mac Baren "Mixture" is amazing if you can learn to smoke it. I used to like McClelland stuff because a lot of their product was not kick-in-the-face strong (where Cornell and Diehl stuff almost all of it is).
Brown Clunee is pretty nice.
Reiner 71 (Long Golden) would probably be my top-end in terms of strength, and I know it doesn't even move the needle for lots of guys.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I enjoy a milder smoke to start the day. Some of my favorite first of the day smokes are:
Rotary Navy Cut

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Capstan Blue Flake

Samuel Gawith Golden Glow

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake

Reactions: BROBS

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I often stumble onto the subtle, unsung blends and find them quite enjoyable.
My latest is C&D Pegasus, a Virginia/Burley/Black Cavendish concoction.
jay-roger.jpg

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
F & T Cut Virginia Plug & Capstan Blue original are nice milder smokes. Or I'll go McBaren Navy Flake or Peter S luxury Twist frequently. I'm sort of a Jekyll and Hyde - it might be GH brown rope the next day.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Orlik Golden Slices, Capstan Blue, 5100, Squadron Leader for a Virginia mood.
Chatham Manor or Pegasus on the more Burley side of things.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not sure what defines a mild blend, but ones that I can smoke several pipes of back to back would be Old Dark Fired, Ennerdale Flake, 5 Brothers, and Angler's Dream.

Reactions: BROBS and mso489

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have been enjoying more of the blends that don't hit you over the head with either nicotine or flavor. Sutliff Virginia Slices, Lane Ready Rubbed. and Stokkebye Natural Dutch Cavendish all fill the bill.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I enjoy the milder blends a lot. I find it enjoyable to have to focus on the subtle flavors while I’m smoking my pipe. And they are delicious. The Stokkebye flakes and Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake are several that have become part of my daily tobacco experience.

Reactions: BROBS and mso489

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Nobody mentioned but I think Peterson Sherlock Holmes virginia blend is worth a post in this thread. With a little citrus aroma, it is a pleasure to smoke. I'm smoking it right now outside in this nice spring weather and I would not change it for anything else.

Reactions: judcole and BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
My favourite tobaccos are the lighter Englishes, I really like Squadron Leader and Early Morning pipe. I also like some Half and Half or Amphora original for when I'm puttering around outside gardening or mowing, because I can puff away without getting a scorched tongue. I am also fairly nicotine sensitive, I like the strong flavours of the heavier blends, but for me nicotine acts as a stimulant and my heartrate and blood pressure get uncomfortably elevated. I like things like Irish Flake and 1792 but only in small bowls smoked slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.