PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red Tin)

Mac Baren - Amphora Original Blend

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake (No. 403)

Comoy's of London - Cask #4 Stand Fast Navy (Comoy's)

Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster (Hamburger Pfeifentabak)

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Virginia Slices #507-C
For a light English

J. F. Germain & Son - Germain's Special Latakia Flake

G. L. Pease - Chelsea Morning (Old London Series)

Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader

Bobby Cashew

Lurker
Jun 3, 2020
The Broken Scotch Cake. I coax some of the loveliest aromas and flavor from this mild tobacco. The flavors of a mild tobacco can be wonderful, imo. Being a relatively new pipe smoker(3yrs) I normally gravitate toward heavier tobaccos, but the Broken Scotch Cake has really opened my eyes as to how wonderful tasting a mild tobacco can be.

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I often stumble onto the subtle, unsung blends and find them quite enjoyable.
My latest is C&D Pegasus, a Virginia/Burley/Black Cavendish concoction.
jay-roger.jpg
I've been smoking a lot of Pegasus myself. Very smooth stuff with a good amount of burley flavor without all the work of aged burley flakes or the "clobber you over the head" quality of Old Joe Krantz.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whew, I like Five Brothers but wouldn't tell a newbie it's mild! It's mighty fine, neat or used to pick up a milder blend. I have it on hand.

I tried to like Mac Baren's Mixture, as it was about ten years ago; it wasn't too strong, but I found it too harsh. I guess I didn't figure out how to smoke it.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I think first of all it has to be defined what is a mild blend and the definition might be different for different people. For me mild blend is the one which is low in nic but full taste.
Based on this definition a great mild blend for me is Peretti Cuban mixture, it is probably the lowest nic blend I have but a unique full flavor blend. It is a mix of seven different leaves and it is the oldest American blend still in production. For me it is the best definition of a great mild blend.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I got a neighbour who's a pipe smoker of 20 years and claims "the more experienced you get the lighter the blends you'll smoke".
I guess this opinion may have some merit (and just waiting for embers to come and smash it to pieces!), he for example can't smoke any Gawith, anything with more than a pinch of Latakia, DFK etc, he smokes lighter VaPers and straight Virginias. Maybe, as I've read here many times, it takes people so long to learn to smoke and appreciate Virginias so what's totally flat to me could be a multitude of flavours to him.
In any case, where I am at at the moment, I need big and bold flavours and a strong nicotine kick.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Vauen No 14 Virginia Flake, OGS, Hamborger Veermaster, Wessex Gold Slice, Wessex Gold Flake and F&T CVP are Va blends I consider reasonably mild and work great earlier in the day. C&D Sunday Picnic is a fantastic VaOr that is reasonably mild, great flavors. I find the Former VaPer blends (Cross, Birdseye and Straight Grain) reasonably mild and quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.